Chapter 11

If it wasn't for the notes app on his phone, Joe wouldn't even remember on how many dates he went with Ben. Currently, they were on a walk close to Ben's house. They had a few days off of work and Ben decided that he wanted to spend those at home. He asked Joe to come along. So far, no one knew of their relationship. Eventually, they would tell everyone around them. As for now, they were enjoying the peace. Ben sat down on top of the hill they had climbed onto. The sun was close to setting and from experience, Ben knows that this is the most beautiful place to watch it. Without thinking he scans their surroundings before wrapping his arm around Joe. The latter places his head on Ben's shoulder. For a while, they sit in silence.

"It's beautiful," Joe whispers while the entire sky colours orange and pink. 
"You are beautiful," Ben says while turning his head to watch Joe's reaction. Joe gives him a playful push.
"Oh stop it," Joe says. 
"As long as you realize that it is true," Ben says. He tightens his grip around Joe a little. Joe doesn't say anything and keeps his gaze fixated on the sky. As soon as the sun has set, Ben stands up.
"I could stay here for hours with you. But from experience I know that it is very hard to get down safely when it is completely dark," Ben says. He holds out his hand to pull Joe up. 

They had decided to watch a movie before going to bed. Ben sits down on his bed and Joe followed his lead. They were still engaged in a conversation.
"My parents went nuts when I told them I was going to be on Eastenders. It's a big show in the UK. I think almost everyone has at least watched an episode or two," Ben says.
"I watched some scenes on YouTube the other day. You looked great in that show," Joe says while a smile crept upon his face. Ben raises an eyebrow.
"Yeah?" Joe bit his lip while nodding.
"You little bastard, come here," Ben holds out his arms. Joe doesn't hesitate to stand in between them. Ben gently pulls Joe in for a kiss. He lets his thumb run over Joe's cheek. Ben slowly lets himself fall onto the mattress. Joe is still standing between his legs. Their lips are still locked. Ben pulls away briefly so he can lift Joe's shirt over his head. He bites his lip while he looks Joe up and down before meeting Joe's eyes. Joe doesn't hesitate to lock their lips once more. Ben's hands roamed over Joe's back. Once they pulled away, Ben looked Joe in the eye.
"Are you okay with where this is going?" Ben asks. 
"I am, are you?" 
"Most certainly," Ben says before sitting up so he can reach Joe's lips once more.

**********

The next morning, Ben wakes up to an empty bed. Joe had been laying next to him but had left the bed since. Ben gives himself a minute to wake up before he steps out of bed. He looked through the house, but couldn't find Joe anywhere. He called out Joe's name a few times but got no response. He grabbed his phone from where he left it on the kitchen table the day before. He texted Joe to ask if everything was alright. He slowly sank himself onto the couch. For the first time in a very long time, he felt insecurity wash over him. Last night's events cloud his mind while he looks for something that made Joe so upset that he had to leave in the middle of the night. 

Ben barely registers the front door opening. When he looks up he sees Joe walking in with two bags of food. 
"Morning, sweetheart," Joe says while he puts the bags of food on the table. He cocks his head to the side while he looks at Ben.
"Is everything alright? You look stressed," Joe says while he sits down on the couch next to Ben. The latter leans into Joe a little.
"I thought you left," Ben says. 
"Didn't you see the note I left on my pillow?" Joe asks. Ben shakes his head.
"What note?" 
"I wrote a note to explain that I was going to get us some breakfast," Joe says while motioning towards the bags on the table.
"Oh, that explains a lot. I didn't see it," Ben says. 

"Well, I brought some breakfast. Do you want to eat it here or in the kitchen?" Joe asks. 
"Here is fine," Ben says. Joe stands up.
"I'll get us some cutlery." When he walks to the kitchen, Ben notices the slight limp.
"I went a little hard yesterday, didn't I?" Ben asks while nodding towards Joe when he walks back into the living room. Joe grins widely while shooting Ben a wink.
"You could say that," Joe says. 
"I didn't go too hard, did I?" Ben asks. Joe hands Ben one of the breakfast boxes.
"No don't worry about it. It just has been a while since I have been with a guy," Joe says. 
"It wasn't your first time, was it?" Ben asks. Joe shakes his head.
"No, definitely not. My last partner was a woman, but the one before that was a man," Joe says. Ben nods slowly.

"Why did that relationship end?" Ben asks. Joe takes a deep breath.
"I walked in on my girlfriend and my best friend making out in our bed. When my friend got out of bed so he could quickly get out of my house, I found out they were stark naked. And apparently, this had been going on for quite a while," Joe explains. Ben frowns. 
"That sounds horrible. I don't understand how someone can do that," Ben says. Joe shrugs.
"I guess I wasn't good enough for her, but I wish she would just have told me that instead of going behind my back," Joe says. 
"She is a fool for thinking that. I think you are amazing."
"Thanks," Joe mumbles quietly. 

**********

Hey guys,

I hoped you liked this chapter?

I finally finished my exams. So, I hope I can upload more frequently.

Take good care of yourself and others. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Goodbye,

Xx Itsametaphorjoe