Chapter 37

Ben and Joe went on quite a few more dates. Currently, they are sitting in the car on their way back from another date.
"Do you have any plans for the upcoming days?" Ben asks.
"I'm going over to my mom's tomorrow," Joe says.
"Oh, that is fun. Any special reason? Or are you just visiting her?" Ben asks. 
"I was going to ask if I could live with her for a while. I have a project coming up in New York." Ben looks to the side.
"You can also stay with me? I mean, if you want to of course," Ben says. Joe's lip corners push up.
"Really?" Joe asks. Ben takes a deep breath.
"Sure. We did it last time. So, this time shouldn't be any different," Ben says. 

Currently Ben was helping Joe unpack his suitcase. 
"Are you sure it's okay for me to stay here?" Joe asks. Ben hums.
"The ultimate test to see if this relationship will work."
"I know you were kind of hesitant in the beginning. How are you feeling about it right now?" Joe asks while he puts a couple of sweaters in the closet. It was really weird seeing his clothes on the shelf again.
"I feel good about it. You know, my feelings for you never really disappeared. I was just really afraid that you weren't serious about giving me another chance. I didn't want my heart to break again. And I definitely didn't want to break your heart another time," Ben says. He is glad that he hears the doorbell ring. He quickly hurries over to the front door. Avoiding further conversation with Joe. Rami and Lucy are standing on their doorstep.
"Hey, how are you doing?" Rami asks.
"I am doing alright. Come in, come in," Ben says after giving both Rami and Lucy a quick hug. Rami raises his eyebrows when Joe walks into the living room. 

"Hi, nice to see you two again," Joe says. Lucy glances back and forth from Ben to Joe and back.
"Okay, hold up. Care to explain what is going on here?" Lucy asks. Joe chuckles.
"We are trying to make things work again. And as Joe needed a place to stay in New York, I offered for him to stay here. It's his old home after all," Ben says. Rami scratches the back of his head.
"And you are only thinking of telling us this now? When did this start?" Rami asks.
"I think our second first date so to speak was two months ago?" Joe says. He looks at Ben for confirmation. Ben quickly nods.
"Two months?" Rami asks. 
"Yeah," Ben says.

"You guys are killing me. You know for how long I've tried to get you two to talk about what happened so you could as least settle the fight. Now you are telling me you are dating again and didn't bother to tell me about it for two months?" Rami asks.
"Sorry, Rams. We just weren't sure if it was going to work out. I mean, it is still really new. We just wanted to make sure that this had a good possibility to work out," Joe says. Rami rolls his eyes.
"Well, I am glad you two are on the same side again. It was really sad to see you both struggling so much," Lucy says. Ben smiles at her.
"Me too."

When Ben leaves to get them something to drink, Rami leans in toward Joe.
"Did Ben explain what happened?" Rami asks. Joe nods.
"Yeah, he did," Joe says. 
"Anything you have to say to me?" Rami asks. He raises his eyebrows with a smirk on his lips. Joe rolls his eyes.
"You were right. I should have talked to him sooner. I guess a coma was all I needed to convince me to get to talk to him again," Joe says. 
"Let it go, Rami. They are talking again. Don't push it," Lucy says. 

Later that night, when Rami and Lucy have left, Ben and Joe are sitting on the couch. A movie is running on the tv, but Ben has his eyes fixated on Joe's face.
"I am not the tv, you know," Joe says while turning his head to look at Ben. The latter immediately averts his eyes. 
"I am sorry," Ben says. 
"Hey, don't be," Joe says. With his finger, he turns Ben's chin to have Ben look at him. He looks Ben in the eye for a few seconds before lowering his gaze toward Ben's lips. He stares mercilessly before looking up into Ben's eyes again. Joe lets his thumb run over Ben's bottom lip before he slowly brings himself forward. Ben closes his eyes before Joe's lips even reach his. He sighs softly in the kiss. 

When they pull away, Ben slowly opens his eyes. He stares at Joe before leaning forward to connect their lips once more. This time very briefly. As soon as their lips break away, Joe lets his fingers run over the side of Ben's face.
"You are so gorgeous," Joe whispers. Ben frowns.
"I am?" Ben asks. Joe chuckles.
"Of course you are. I mean, look at you. Dropdead gorgeous," Joe says. Ben nods slowly.
"You are not too bad looking yourself," Ben says.
"Thanks," Joe says.

**********