Chapter 26

Living back home was going better than Ben thought it'd be. He promised Rami that every Saturday he would spend the day with him and Lucy. Just so they could keep an eye on him.  Even though it was now almost four months since their breakup it still hit him in the quiet moments. He still followed Joe on Instagram and he was happy to see that Joe was doing quite alright. He didn't seem to be as big of a mess as Ben was.

Ben is still in the running for the two projects he has auditioned for. One of those projects is down to the last five actors. Rami has kept his promised and has helped Ben get back in shape. Ben still isn't sure if he is ready to go to work. Deep down he knows that Rami is right and that he should get back into the rythm of his normal life. It would only make it harder to get back into the routine if he keeps putting it off longer.

Currently, Ben is on his way to a bar. For the first time in four moments, he decided that it was time to go out and see if he could strike up a conversation with someone. Up until now, he has mostly been avoiding people. Ben has found a pub online that has a good rating. He follows the directions his phone tells him to go. He swallows hard once he realises he is walking over the bridge where Ben and Joe locked their love together. From afar, he notices the lock they put there all that time ago.

Ben lets his fingers glide over the lock. His name was engraved next to Joe's. A heart in the middle. His lip quivers while he turns the lock over. The lyric of Crazy Little Thing Called Love is still readable. Ben's eyes wander to the water below the bridge. The key lays somewhere on the bottom. They threw it down because they thought there never would have been a moment where they would have to remove the lock.

Ben swallows hard. He stares at the lock for another minute before he forces himself to turn around. He orders himself a coffee at the bar around the corner. The only table free is the one in the far corner. Ben watches everyone chat and have fun while he slowly sips from his coffee.
"Hey, is this seat taken?" A tall brunette asks. Ben shoots him a forced smile.
"No, it's not," Ben says. The guy sits down opposite Ben.

"I'm Charlie," The guy says.
"I'm Ben," Ben says before taking another sip of his coffee. His eyes wander to the door, Charlie follows his gaze.
"Were you waiting for someone?" Charlie asks. Ben immediately shakes his head.
"No, I am not."
"Why is it that you are sitting all by yourself then?" Charlie asks. Ben shrugs.
"A bit of a rough patch. I'll get over it."
"Anything I can do to help?" Charlie asks. Ben shakes his head.
"Not really. Thanks for the offer though."

They continue their conversation for a little bit before Ben's phone rings. He looks at the caller id. His agent's name flashes across it.
"Sorry, I have to take this really quick," Ben says. Charlie makes a hand motion that it is okay.

"Hi," Ben says.
"I just got the call that you've been cast for the role of Frank in Pixie," His agent says.
"Are you serious?" Ben asks. Charlie looks up from his phone at the excited tone in Ben's voice.
"Dead serious. Tomorrow at two in the afternoon we have an online meeting with some people involved. I'll send you the invention. If you can call me at half past one we can talk through some stuff," The agent asks.
"Sure. Thank you, I really needed this," Ben says. He catches Charlie eyeing him curiously before bending over the napkin he was writing on.
"I know you do. I'm happy for you, Ben. But let's talk through everything tomorrow."
"Sure, thanks for calling me."
"No problem, have a good night."
"You too, cheers," Ben says before ending the phone call.

Charlie looks up at him again.
"That seems to have put you in a better mood," Charlie says. Ben lets his hand run through his hair.
"Yeah, I got a job that I really wanted."
"That's fantastic. Congrats! What is it with you anyways? It seems like something is really bothering you," Charlie says. Ben shrugs.
"I don't really want to talk about it. But in short, a long-term relationship didn't end up working out," Ben says. He looks down at his cup. A hand is placed over his.
"I'm so sorry to hear. Is there anything I can do for you?" Charlie asks. Ben shakes his head.
"Not really but thanks. If you don't mind, I am going to head home. Apparently, I have to prepare for an important meeting," Ben says. Charlie slides the napkin over the table toward Ben. A few numbers are scribbled onto the napkin.
"If you need to take your mind off him, call me," Charlie says before shooting him a wink. Ben tucks the napkin into the pocket of his jacket.
"I will. Thanks for tonight, it was nice to chat."
"Likewise."

*********

Hey guys!

I hope you're doing alright (pun very much intended)?

I am quite busy the upcoming weeks. I am going to try my very best to regurarly update. But if it takes a little longer, you know why.

Take good care of yourself and others. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Goodbye,

Xx Itsametaphorjoe