Chapter 27

The first thing Ben does is make his way over to Rami's and Lucy's apartment.
"I got the job," Ben exclaims while storming inside. Both Rami and Lucy cheer loudly.
"I couldn't have done this without you. Thank you so much for helping me through this," Ben says while looking at Rami and Lucy.
"No problem. I'm so happy for you that you are on the right track again. You deserved this job," Rami says as he wraps his arms around Ben in a brief hug.
"Thank you so much," Ben whispers.

A few days later, Ben is sitting alone on the couch. He hesitates while he looks at the numbers he entered into his phone.
"Fuck it," Ben whispers under his breath before hitting the green button. The phone rings twice before the person on the other line picks up.
"Charlie Smith."
"Hi, Charlie. It's Ben, from the bar last week."
"Hi, Ben. What's up?" Ben takes a deep breath.
"I was wondering if your offer still stands," Ben says. He can hear Charlie chuckle on the other side of the phone.
"Of course. My house or yours, your call," Charlie says.
"I'll send you my location."

Ben opens the door as soon as the doorbell rings. Charlie takes his time to look Ben up and down.
"I brought liquor," He says while holding up a bottle.
"Just to be sure. You were talking about sex, right?" Ben asks while stepping aside to let Charlie in. Charlie chuckles.
"Yes, I was. You don't do this often, do you?" Charlie asks. Ben shakes his head.
"Come here," Charlie says. He places his hand on the side of Ben's face. Slowly he connects their lips together.

They pull away so Charlie can take off Ben's sweater. He whistles lowly.
"Damn, who know you were hiding this godly body under there?" Charlie says while letting his hands run over Ben's chest. Ben sucks in a sharp breath.
"Maybe I could use some alcohol first," Ben says. Charlie opens the bottle. He takes a few sips before handing it to Ben. Ben takes a huge swig. It immediately starts burning in the back of his throat.

Charlie sits down on the couch. He eyes Ben up and down.
"Jeez, you are one gorgeous motherfucker," Charlie says. Ben immediately feels his cheek starting to get red. As soon as Ben sits down, their lips connect. Ben places his hand on the side of Charlie's face while the kiss continues. 

Charlie swings one leg over Ben's lap while their make-out session continues. Gently he starts playing with Ben's exposed nipples before he lets his hand wander south. He breaks the kiss when he reaches the front of Ben's jeans. Ben brings his hand to his eyes.
"Sorry," Ben mumbles.
"Am I doing something wrong?" Charlie asks while he moves to get off Ben's lap.
"No, it's just- er- I haven't been able to get hard since the breakup. But you offered to do this and you are gorgeous, like really gorgeous. So, I hoped this would work out,"
"It's okay. It happens. Do you mind if I stay for a bit? You really look like you could use a friend right now," Charlie says. Ben nods while he reaches out for the liquor bottle once more.

The next morning Ben wakes up with his head pounding. He brings his hand to his eyes while he tries to remember the day before. He turns around and lets out a relieved breath once he sees that the bed is empty. Ben moves his hand over the nightstand until it reaches his phone. Ben opens his phone to find two texts from Charlie.

Morning, I made you some breakfast, it's on the kitchen counter. I found some painkillers and put them on the nightstand for you. Maybe you would like to know that we didn't do anything last night. You got in the mood, but you were way too wasted. I didn't want to take advantage of you

I really liked your company. If you want to meet up again, just text me. Even if it is just to hang out. But I'm always open to more...

Ben lets out a relieved breath before putting down his phone. He tries to sit up but is forced to lie down again. His hand moves over the nightstand to find the painkillers and the bottle of water. He can't remember the last time he had such a hangover. In one go, he swallows the painkillers. He waits until they start to kick in before slowly getting out of bed. Like Charlie has said, there is breakfast waiting for him in the kitchen. First, he grabs a bottle of water as a desperate cure for the headache.

Later that day, he receives an incoming call from Charlie. Ben hesitates before eventually picking up.
"Hey, mate. Just wanted to check in on you," Charlie says as soon as he hears Ben.
"Yeah, I am fine. Killer hangover, though. Been a long time since I have been so hammered," Ben says. He can hear Charlie chuckle on the other side of the line.
"You were pretty wasted yesterday. Were telling me all sorts of stories about your ex and it was very clear to me that you are not over him at all. You got in the mood so to speak, but I brought you to bed instead. Except for making out, we didn't do much. If I can be honest with you, mate. I think you need some more time to recover before you go out and do stuff like this. But once you are ready, you can always call me," Charlie says.
"I guess. Thanks for not taking advantage of the situation," Ben says while he rubs his hand through his eyes.
"Hey, I got you. Whenever you want to hang out, just give me a call," Charlie says. 
"Will do. Thanks. Cheers," Ben says before declining the line.

*********

Hey guys,

I hope you have a fantastic day today! 

Am I the only one that can wait before it's Christmas? I am so in the mood to listen to Christmas music and stare at the pretty lights outside.

Take good care of yourself and others. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Goodbye, 

Xx Itsametaphorjoe