Chapter 17

Three months after living together, Joe is convinced that this is the best thing to ever happen to him. Joe was out to meet up with his mom and when he came back, Ben was in the kitchen cooking dinner. Ben had wrapped early that day and decided to surprise Joe. Ben was humming along to the music on the radio. His body lightly swaying with the song. While cutting up a few more ingredients he also kept his eyes on the pots on the stove. Everything about this told Joe that Ben hasn't heard him walk in. Joe leans against the door frame, admiring his boyfriend.

When Ben turns around to set the table, he jumps when he sees Joe standing in the doorway.
"Well, aren't you a sight for sore eyes," Joe says while walking over. He connects his lips with Ben before his boyfriend can say anything.
"How was your day?" Ben asks as soon as they pull away.
"It was great. It was nice to have lunch with her. How was your day? You are busy I see," Joe says while nodding to the stove.
"Glad you had fun, honey. We were done early today. So, I decided to surprise you, but you came home a little too soon." Joe smiles.
"That is sweet. Can I help?" Joe asks.
"No, I am almost done. Can you maybe leave the kitchen for a bit so I can finish setting everything up?" Ben asks.
"Of course," Joe says before pecking Ben's lips.

Not even fifteen minutes later, Ben knocks on the door of their office. 
"Dinner is ready," He says. The door opens almost immediately. Joe gasps when he walks into the kitchen. Ben has turned off all the lights. The candles were the only light source in the room. Ben pours two glasses of wine before he pulls out a seat for Joe.
"My love," Ben says while motioning to the chair.
"Thank you," Joe says while sitting down.
"Ben, this looks amazing." Joe looks at the beautifully made plate in front of him.
"I'm glad you think so," Ben says.  
"Is there a special reason for all of this?" Joe asks. Ben chuckles before shaking his head.
"No, I just really love you. And I want to spoil you rotten," Ben says.

The next morning, they walk through New York together. They stop at a little bridge.
"This is the lovers bridge. As you can see a lot of people put locks on the side and throw the key in the river to lock their everlasting love," Joe says. Ben nods while looking at all the different locks on the side of the bridge. 
"A good buddy of mine works at one of those shops and I had him make one for us," Joe says while reaching into his pocket. He retrieves a red lock. Their names are engraved on the front with a heart in between them. On the back, the words 'Crazy little thing called love' are engraved. Ben gently takes the lock from Joe. 
"This is so cute," Ben says.
"Do you want to put that lock on the bridge?" Joe asks. When Ben hums they make their way over to the railing. Ben finds a spot where they can connect their lock. Together they turn the key before taking it out. 
"Toss it, because we will never need to retrieve it anyways." Ben does as told and throws the key into the river below. He glances around before placing a quick kiss on Joe's lips. 

Time flies by fast and before they know it Ben is almost finished filming his movie. Joe took him out for dinner on a free evening.
"Oh, what did you order? It looks amazing," Ben says.
"Do you want to taste it?" Joe asks. 
"If you don't mind?" Instead of answering, Joe puts some on his fork before holding it in front of Ben. The latter quickly takes the fork before putting the food in his mouth.
"That is really good," Ben says. 

"I wanted to talk to you about something," Joe says. Ben looks up at him.
"I think I know what you want to talk about," Ben says. Joe hums.
"I really liked living together and honestly, I don't think I can handle it if you move back to your own house. I love you a lot and I'd love for us to move in together," Joe says. Ben's lip corners curl up. He looks around before he places his hand on top of Joe's on the table. 
"I'd love for us to live together. The past few months made me realise that I'm really serious about this relationship and that I am totally okay with how serious this relationship is." 
"Me too."

Ben can see the hesitation in Joe's eyes. Joe opens his mouth before closing it again.
"You know you can tell me everything, right?" Ben asks while he lets his thumb run over Joe's hand. Joe hums.
"You don't want to move away from your family, do you?" Ben asks. 
"Preferably not, but I don't know where you want to live." 
"I am okay with moving here. Especially if that means I can move in with you. I'll follow you everywhere," Ben says. Joe chuckles.
"I love you," Joe whispers.
"I love you too, honey."

A guy on the table behind them calls over the waiter. 
"I don't want any of their sort around me when I am eating. It's disgusting," The man says. Joe can't see what is happening because he has his back to the man, but Ben can clearly see that the man is pointing at him and Joe. Ben lets go of Joe's hand. 
"I don't know what you are referring to, sir?" The waiter asks. 
"Those fags," The man says while pointing again. Heads in the restaurant are turning. Joe looks at Ben.
"Are they talking about us?" Joe whispers.
"Yeah."

"Everyone is allowed to eat at this restaurant. We don't deny people access for any reason. Especially not when it comes to sexuality. If you don't want them around while you are eating, I can grab you a box from the kitchen and you can take your food home with you," The waiter says politely. Joe's eyes widen while he brings his hand to his mouth to refrain from laughing.
"I am paying here. I should be able to eat my food without their nasty preferences."
"I am sorry, sir. There is nothing I can do for you," The waiter says. 

Ben gasps when he sees the fist of the man connecting with the face of the man. A lot of people jumped up in the restaurant. One man immediately tries to get ahold of the man. Before the man can get restrained, he manages to hit the waiter in the face once more. 
"Someone call the cops," Joe says after he has turned around. Several people are now holding the man back. Ben walks over to the waiter who has fallen on the floor on impact. With that, he hit his head on the floor. 

"Joe, can you go in the kitchen and ask for something we can use as an icepack?" Ben asks. 
"Hi, did you hit your head hard?" Ben asks. The waiter manages to nod.
"Can you tell me your name?" 
"Taylor," The man says. 
"Okay, Taylor. Does your head hurt?" Ben asks. A second guest sits down next to Ben.
"It does," Taylor attempts to sit back but Ben gently pushes him back. 
"It might be best to lay down for a few minutes. I need you to stay awake for me, okay?" Joe comes rushing back with the manager following him.

The ambulance and the police car arrive at the same time. The man is still shouting profanities while he is being dragged out of the restaurant. A police officer sits down with Ben and Joe to ask them about what has happened. The manager of the restaurant was sitting at their table as well, wanting to be filled in about what has happened to his employee.  

************

Hey guys,

How are you guys doing?

I just want to check in with you guys to see if you guys still like this book? I have been struggling a bit lately and I want to make sure y'all still like this. If not, I might cut the book short. But if you like it, I will definitely try my best to continue!

Take good care of yourself and others. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Goodbye,

Xx Itsametaphorjoe