Chapter 31

Different policemen are walking around, taking pictures, and pointing at the balcony. Ben and the policeman who questioned him stand up from the bench. Ben quietly walks over to Rami. The latter is about to say something when the only female police officer walks from the building with Lucy by her side. As soon as Lucy sees Rami, she sprints over. 
"Oh my god, they told me someone fell off the balcony and I couldn't find you. I was so scared that it was you," Lucy says while giving Rami a big hug. 
"Who was it? What happened?" Lucy asks as soon as she breaks the hug.
"It was Joe," Ben says. Lucy brings her hand to her mouth. 
"How is he doing?" 
"We don't know. He was unconscious when the ambulance took him away to the hospital," Rami says. Ben is bouncing on his feet while he looks around him, avoiding Rami's and Lucy's gaze. 
"Everyone got sent home. And I didn't see you anywhere," Lucy says. The police officer that had questioned Ben walks over.
"I can give you three a ride to the hospital?"
"Yes, please," Rami says. 

Ben was fidgeting with the zipper of his jacket the entire way. It was highly irritating to Rami, but he stayed silent. He kept thinking about the questions the officer asked him. Could Ben have purposefully pushed Joe off? Or could Joe have tried to frame Ben? He was convinced that the answer to both of these questions was no. However the more he thinks about it, the more he starts doubting the answers. 

Rami is so deep in his thoughts, that he doesn't even notice that the policemen lead them inside. He taps one of them on the shoulder.
"The building opposite of ours has cameras that show most balconies of our building. I am not entirely sure if it shows ours," Rami says. He is more than willing to help out a friend, but if it is as serious as this, he will protect the truth no matter what. When they sit down in the waiting area, one of the police officers takes place a few seats over from them.
"You don't have to stay with us, we will manage," Lucy says. 
"I'm afraid I can't leave you alone miss. Mr. Jones is the main suspect in this case. He promised to behave and to be cooperative so he could hear the news of Mr. Mazzello. As he has not yet been proven guilty this is allowed, but I'll have to stay here to keep an eye on him." Both Rami's and Lucy's heads turn towards Ben.
"I didn't do it. I never laid a hand on him. I wouldn't dare," Ben mutters. Rami wants to tell Ben that he trusts him, but he can't deny that the situation makes Ben very suspicious. 

A doctor walks in and hands an envelope to the police officer.
"Permission to tell them what is going on?" She asks the police officer.
"Cut the details," The officer replies. 
"Mr. Mazzello is in a coma and we are keeping him in a coma a little longer. He has some minor brain and nerve damage that can and should heal itself. To make sure that happens, it is best to make sure he stays in a coma. As far as we can conclude now, we can't guarantee that he is going to wake up from it. The chances are bigger that he will wake up, but it can go either way." Rami swallows hard. He feels Lucy placing a hand on his leg. He grabs it with both of his own hands. 

The doctor turns to the policeman. 
"The family will arrive anytime now. Maybe it's best to take them away?" She quietly asks. She nods her head to the three friends. The police officer stands up.
"I'm going to bring you two home and I'm going to take Mr. Jones with me to the precinct." Without saying anything, or even looking at each other, they get up. 

When Rami and Lucy are sitting on the couch later that night, Rami shakes his head.
"I should have never told Joe that it was okay for him to come. Why didn't I just tell him that Ben was coming? Joe wouldn't have been here if I told him that," Rami says while he bawls his hands into fists. 
"Rami, sweetheart, take a deep breath," Lucy says while taking one of Rami's hands in her own. Rami does as told.
"Maybe this wasn't the best idea. But we could have never foreseen that something like this was going to happen. Do you really think one of them did this on purpose?"  Lucy asks. Rami shrugs.
"I don't know anymore. I immediately told the officers they didn't do it. I mean Ben just got his life back on track. I don't think he would throw it away like that. And as for Joe, he might get petty when he is upset. But getting himself badly injured just to make Ben look bad, I don't think he'd ever do that," Rami says. Lucy nods.
"I don't think either of them did anything either. Maybe Ben is telling the truth. Joe really could have just lost his balance. Knowing Joe, he probably had a few drinks," Lucy says.
"Maybe. I don't know. I just really hope that he will be alright."
"We all do."

*****************

Hey guys,

I am keeping you guys on the edge of your seat a little while longer. Just because I can (*Insert evil author laugh*)

Do you have any questions for me? Leave them here >>>

I hope you guys have a good day today!

Take good care of yourself and others. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Goodbye,

Xx Itsametaphorjoe