Legalities

Marty

After the Kendra episode, my brothers came clean to Dad. While I knew some of the plans, I didn't know the full extent. I've got to hand it to Romeo. He has a devious mind with revenge.

It turned out Kate's brother, Elliot was the voice on the intercom. My brothers figured if they or our cousins said anything, it would blow up in our faces.

Patton had a meeting with Kendra, her parents, and RJ and Nik regarding Kendra's part in this mess. Kendra recognized Patton for the role he played in our plan. But it didn't matter.

Why might you ask? When Kendra accessed my phone without my permission, she invaded my privacy. Then Kendra's parents and the school brought in their lawyers.

*******
Grayson

You would think people would understand the law. They don't. But I do. I know it better than anyone.

I sat in a conference room with two school owners, Patton, Evan Jones, Kendra, her parents, and their lawyer, trying to mediate a viable solution. There wasn't one.

"My clients won't press charges against this school and the people involved if you allow their daughter to attend," the lawyer from the other side said.

"Counselor, your client's daughter invaded someone's privacy when she accessed the person's phone. She sent inappropriate messages to the person. We have a corroborated statement from her friend about her ulterior motives. Your clients' daughter is facing serious legal action," Evan said.

"Kate Harrison obtained audio without my client's consent."

"Kate Harrison and your client were standing on a campus sidewalk. Your client doesn't own the campus and has no legal right to privacy."

"My client suffered duress and humiliation when several students broadcasted her text messages to another person without her consent."

"The other person gave consent to show the messages as evidence."

"The Dean of the School accompanied three other males when they kidnapped my client."

"Did the Dean touch your client?"

"No."

"Then how are you sure the Dean was at the scene. The Dean has a twin and an alibi. We have proof of your client's deception. Without photographic proof of a date-time stamp, it's speculation and hearsay."

Damn, Evan is brilliant.

"Counselor, your family owns this school. It's a conflict of interest for you to give legal advice."

"It's a conflict of interest if the parties informed Mr. Jones of any illegal activity. They didn't," I said.

"You're related to the Dean. It's unethical for you to represent him," the other side said.

"I'm not representing the Dean. The college retained me as legal counsel. The college states the Dean, and an owner must be present when discussing a matter with the student. Since the student is over the age of eighteen, she does not need to have a legal guardian present."

"My clients are filing a lawsuit for defamation of character."

"Oh? Are you sure you want to proceed? Think long and hard, counselor."

The other attorney glared at me.

"If you file a lawsuit, we will file legal charges."

"On what grounds?"

"Your client accessed someone's phone without their consent. That's theft. Invasion of privacy is a tort. Sending explicit pictures is sexual harassment. Shall I go on?"