Thanksgiving

Marty

We left school and drove home. When we arrived, we dropped the girls off besides Leokadia and Rowan since they were staying with us. Val didn't even pull into the driveway when Ma flung the door open and bounded from the house.

Ma bounced in her spot as Val pulled into the driveway. We opened the car doors as Ma flung herself at us.

"My babies!"

"Hi, Ma!" We said.

Dad had to peel Ma from us. "Tori, give the boys a minute."

Ma turned to Dad and put her hands on her hips. "Elias, don't tell me to give the boys a minute. Do you have any idea how long I waited to hug them?"

"Yes, because you tell me every single day."

We laughed.

"I'm entitled to hug the boys." Ma turned to us and opened her arms. "Give mommy a hug before I sit on your heads besides Marty."

My brothers glanced at me.

"What?" I asked.

"I'm waiting!" Ma said, getting impatient.

We engulfed Ma with a hug. She squealed and laughed. Dad shook his head.

After Ma released her death grip, my dad and brothers grabbed our bags and carried them inside. I glanced at Ma.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm doing better."

"Can I hug you?" Ma furrowed her brows.

"You can hug me anytime."

Her lips curled into a grin as she threw her arms around me. I wrapped my good arm around her and hugged her back. Dr. Shaw said I needed to differentiate between someone's touch. It was a trust exercise.

Ma released me and wrapped an arm around my back as I draped my good arm across her shoulder. We entered the house, and Dad closed the door behind us.

"Is Bailey coming to dinner?" Dad asked me.

"Yeah. Bailey said she would let Sue know."

Dad gave me a nod.

"Can you do me a favor?"

"Sure."

"Can you please keep your hearing aids on? I can't sign." I pointed at my cast.

"Yeah."

"Pat promised he wouldn't turn off his hearing aids until I got my cast off."

Dad chuckled. "That's a plus."

Ma rolled her eyes and shook her head.

Dad carried my bag upstairs as I followed him. He unpacked my bag to make things easier, then turned to me. "How are you doing?"

"Did Val call you?"

"Yeah. Your mom and I didn't want to overwhelm you."

"Dr. Shaw gave me trust exercises. Everyone is helping me with them."

"And Bailey?"

"I trust Bailey."

Dad nodded and rubbed his palms.

"It's okay. You can hug me."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

Dad engulfed me in a hug. I gripped the back of his shirt and buried my face into his chest. My heart thundered as my breathing increased. He rubbed my back as my body relaxed. I had missed my parents' affection.