12

a/n: sorry for the long awaited chapter, but i hope you enjoy my loves<3

It was dark. pitch black dark.

The only thing Aether could make out was that he felt like falling. his whole body was falling down into a endless hole that leads to nowhere.

Hastily looking around, Aether looked down only to see no end. there was no ground to land on and there was nothing to hold onto. as panic rise into his system, Aether reached out whatever is around him. hoping he can hold onto something.

Grasping into thin air, Aether continued on falling, free falling like as if he's up in the sky. shutting his eyes close and waiting for the harsh impact of the ground, Aether waited for a moment until he felt himself floating.

Blinking his eyes back open, he watch himself falling slower and slower. the air around him was now steady as he landed on hit bottom. sighing in relief, the blonde traveler stood up to dust off anything around him.

Now observing his surrounding, Aether notices that there was door in front of him. it was no ordinary door, it was a door that could be big as a seven statue.

Holding onto the doorknob and twisting it open, Aether was about to enter the unknown door until a voice interrupted his movement. peeking behind him, he sees a figure standing behind him.

It was a woman.

She looked so familiar.

Staring at her form, he watch her face morphed into fear. tilting his head in confusion, "who are you?"

No answer.

"Where are we ?" he asked another question, but nothing. she didn't answer back. she only stared at what's behind him. the fear and horror in her eyes made Aether hesitated.

Slowly turning around, Aether sees a headless rabbit staring at him. the size of it was big as a mountain.

Widening his eyes, Aether was too late to react as the headless rabbit was about to come at him. shutting his eyes close, Aether gasp and sat up.

"You're awake!"

"H-Huh?" looking around, Aether sees himself laying in a guest bedroom. Paimon was on his right, gazing at him worriedly while on his left was Thoma.

"Thank goodness, traveler. you had us scared when we found you unconscious at the forest." Thoma said as he took the wet cloth away from Aether that was just resting on his forehead.

Paimon nodded in agreement, "thankfully Heizou found you and brought you back! Ayato was kind enough to let you rest in his estate and Thoma here took care of you."

"I-I see..." Aether mumbled as he properly moved into a proper position. leaning against the headboard of the bed and burying his head in his hands, "what about Dainslief? where is he?"

"Oh, once we brought you back to the estate, Dainsleif and Heizou still went out to investigate. they tried to see what made you unconscious and realized that the fatui organization was involve." Thoma explained while handing Aether a glass of water to which he took in gratitude.

"Ayato went back to the office to check any clues! apparently when we were outside investigating, Heizou found a suspicious marking on the ground. it was hidden in the forest and what's scary was that another headless rabbit was there..." Paimon said.

Sighing to himself, "i'm sorry if i was a burden. it's just that i tried to stop some of the fatui members, but then i blacked out."

Thoma hummed, "you don't have to apologize. we know that this investigation is important, but you're also important as well."

Smiling at the housekeeper, Aether then asked a question which left the other two hesitate to answer.

"How long was i unconscious?"

....

Noticing how Thoma and Paimon avoided his gaze, Aether asked the question again. "how long was i unconscious for?"

Thoma breathed in and out before answering, "traveler.." he started off. "you were unconscious for two weeks."

2 weeks earlier

2 weeks earlier

When you think of the word 'rabbit,' you would think it's a cute fluffy animal that eats carrots. well, that's partially true, but it could also mean luck, fear, or rebirth. it can have many more meanings, but in this story, it goes to the path of fear.

Fear is something people hate feeling. the heart drop feeling and bone chilling emotion is something people don't find pleasurable. of course there are others who enjoy looking at other people's fear, but feeling for themselves? that's another story.

So how did this girl go down to the rabbit hole with no trace left behind? what's so special about her?

Gazing down at the symbol on the ground, the sixth fatui harbinger easily threw a headless rabbit on the markings. letting it sit for awhile, his electric purple eyes watch the way the symbol lit up. the bloody color shine in the dark forest, making the moon into a red moon.

Smirking at this successful ritual, Scaramouche stepped back a bit and continued on watching the symbol form a portal.

It was like no any other portal that is blue or purple. no. it was a deep crimson color with black shadows surrounding it. if anything, any human being would scream and run away. thinking that once they enter the portal, they will walk into the depths of hell.

Not even showing a hint of fear, the man walked through the crimson portal. leaving no trace behind.

Once he has entered the entrance of the portal, the portal immediately closed up, leaving only the rabbit head lying on the dirty floor.

🐇 🐇 🐇

Entering the mysterious looking portal, Scaramouche sees himself in some sort of house estate. the house was a traditional Inazuma house. the interior design looked nice, no messy corners that caught his eye and no weird sound being made.

Taking deep and slow steps, his hat swayed as he went through the halls of the estate. checking each and every rooms, he sees nothing. just simple furnitures like a bed or a desk.

Humming, Scaramouche knew that he wasn't in a rush. he knows that traveler and his group are still struggling with the rabbit hole concept. he doesn't blame them because any mortals would think this concept is confusing.

After checking all the rooms that were on the left or right, it left with one last room left. the last single room was at the end of the hallway.

Standing in front of it, the fatui harbinger slowly slid the shoji door open only to smirk menacingly.

There.

In front of his purple gaze was a 19 year old woman all chained up against the wall with bloody white rabbits surrounding her fragile form.

a/n: are we getting closer or further ???? 👽

(not edited)
6/30/22