THREE

mentions of death and underage drinking 

Eventually they all stopped at a gas station. Steven was filling up the tank while Belly and Briella walked inside to get some snacks. Laurel went to the restroom.

Belly immediately went for the Cheetos and opened the bag. She grabbed a bunch and stuffed it in her mouth.

"Ew. Bells." Briella shook her head. She hated when Belly did that. It was not a pleasant sight to see. 

"Want some?" Belly offered the girl the bag.

"No thanks."

"Hey." The two girls turned their heads to a boy at the register. "Are you new this summer?"

"Uh us? N-No." Belly stuttered as she turned around to see her friend come up with a can of Mango WhiteClaw.

"Really? Hm." The guy said. "ID?" Briella showed the boy her fake ID as he nodded and rang them up. "Thought I knew every pretty girl in Cousins."

Briella mentally gagged with the boy's flirting. It was the same old line every guy used. It was getting old by now. Belly on the other hand loved the attention the boy was giving her. Something she wasn't used to. 

"Coming to the bonfire tonight? First of the season."

"Hm." Belly looked at her friend who opened her WhiteClaw and chugged it. She needed something to get her through this awful conversation with a boy they just met. "Uh maybe."

"Come. I'll introduce you to some of my friends."

"I'll be outside." Briella told her friend as she walked out with her half drank WhiteClaw.

"A girl with few words." The boy said as they both watch the girl disappear outside.

"Apparently."

"Drinking already Brie?" Steven asked the girl as he waited for the gas to fill up.

Briella shrugged. "I need something to get me through this trip."

"Are you ok?" Steven asked. He knew she went through a lot last summer and turned into a completely different person when he saw her again. 

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know. I just... I know it hasn't been exactly easy for you with the shit that's happened. But even if it seems like I hate you, I don't. I'm here for you. Whatever you need." Steven smiled.

"Thanks Stevie. I don't know I just...everything turned into shit after my mom passed away. My dad could care less where I am. The only people I really have right now are you guys, the Fishers, and Taylor." Briella explained as Steven listened. "Will it ever get easier?"

Steven shrugged. "It's only been a year since she's passed away Brie. You can take all the time you want to grieve."

"I know. I just... really miss her that's all."

Steven swung his arm around the girl's shoulders. "Everything will get better I promise."

✄-----------------------------

Steven is so underappreciated!! I'm giving my boy the love he deserves!!