The Beginning of the End

George POV

I sit at the kitchen table eating with my family. My mother made my favorite, meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I try to focus on the conversation that is being made around the table, but I can't seem to lower my heart rate. I can feel my father's eyes fall upon me every so often. I need to maintain a cool and calm exterior. I can't let him know that he is right about me running off to New York with Alma. Alma. Goodness, I am just itching to call her.

"George, are you happy to be back home or do you miss Notre Dame already?" My father asks.

"Notre Dame is great, you know it's a dream come true, but I am happy to be back with my little sidekick." I say and then turn to give Saddie light tickles.

It sends her into a fit of giggles. I smile and then eat a scoop of my mashed potatoes.

"Well, I know I am happy to have you back." My mom says.

I look over at her and give her a warm smile.

"I am happy to be back and thank you for making me my favorite. It's delicious as always." I say.

"Speaking of being back, James and some of the guys were planning on going to Pop's. Is it ok if I go?" I ask.

"Sure. I know they probably want to hear all about you and James's Notre Dame adventures." My mom says.

"Awesome, I am gonna call James right now. Let him know that I can go. It's his turn to pick me up." I say.

I jump up and rush to the kitchen phone before anything can be said. I pick the phone up off the receiver and listen to hear if anyone is coming. Nothing. I begin to punch in my apartment phone number. I need to make sure that Alma is ok.

"What time is James coming to pick you up?" I hear my dad's voice boom from behind me.

I drop the phone back down onto the receiver too quickly and spin around.

"Jesus dad, you scared the crap out of me. You can't just sneak up on me like that. You could give a man a heart attack." I say clutching my chest.

How long had he been standing there? Did he see the numbers I pressed when dialing?

He smiles and says "Oh so you're a man now huh?"

I don't say anything, I just swallow the lump in my throat. I glance at the kitchen counter and see the set of knives, but quickly re-focus on my father. There is no way I am just going to outright stab him. I mean even if I succeeded, what would I do next? Run back to New York?

He walks over to me and I stand there frozen with my hands at my side. He slaps me on the back and says "Jeez relax. I am just messing with you. You are looking as still as the Statue of Liberty."

I watch him walk over to the sink to put his empty plate in it. I let out a quick inhale and exhale trying to steady my breath. I watch him walk out of the kitchen. I go to turn around to pick up the phone, but he stops in the kitchen doorway. I too stop with my body half facing him at the door and the other half facing the phone.

"I am happy you are back home, George." My dad says and leaves.

I exhale and type in the number again. Even though I know I won't be able to converse with her because my dad could be lurking, I need to know she is ok. I listen to it ring out. I try again and there is no answer.

I place the phone down on the receiver and run a shaky hand through my hair. I try to think but I can't stop the thoughts from racing in my head. I call James.

"Hello." James says, answering the phone.

"James." I say

I hear a distant voice in the background and then James says "Yeah mom I answered it. It's George".