Love is a Losing Game

George POV

I gently stroke Alma's hair as she lays with her head in my lap silently looking up at the stars. I could stay like this forever, just the two us engulfed in the serene meadow. It was easy to leave the house tonight without having to create a ridiculous alibi. All I said was that I am hanging out with Mary and to just leave dinner on the stove. No questions were asked and I was free to go.

"What made you come talk to me the other night?" Alma asks taking me out of my thoughts.

I look down at her and ask "What?"

She sits up, rolls onto her belly, leans on her elbows, and says "It's been almost 2 months. Why now?"

I meet her question with silence because I can't tell her about Mary having dinner with my parents. But then again, my decisions had nothing to do with Mary.

"After dinner, my dad said something that hit a nerve. I was so angry that I went up to my room and went ballistic. I mean I started throwing things in a blind rage. I threw my notebook against the wall and a photo flew out of it. When I went to pick it up, it was a picture of you smiling in the meadow. And suddenly the storm that was whirling inside me calmed and all the thoughts running through my brain stopped. And that's when I knew." I say smiling at her.

"You knew you wanted to be with me?" Alma asks.

I look into those dazzling eyes of hers and say "No, when our hands grazed and our eyes met as we went to pick up our spilled textbooks. That when I knew I wanted to be with you. And after spending several weeks with you I thought you were the one." I start.

"Thought?-" She starts but I interrupt her by placing my pointer finger gently to her lips. She falls silent.

"It wasn't until I saw that picture of you sitting in the midst of all that chaos around me. My safe haven in the storm. That's when I knew you were the one. It was you, it is you and it will always be you." I say.

She leans up and kisses me. I kiss her back gently and then we move so that she is straddling me.

I pull away and say "I love you."

She smiles and kisses me again.

I pull away and leave a trail of kisses up her neck and to her ear, where I whisper "so so much. I love you."

She moans in response. I smile wickedly. I've got her under my spell now.

She tries to reconnect our lips, but I gentle grab her hair and pull her head back and say "Uh uh say it. Say you love me." I tell her.

She wines and says "I love you."

I keep my grip on her hair to prohibit her from kissing me "You love who?" I tease.

"Please. George. I love you, George. Please." She begs.

I release her hair and like a boomerang her head goes back towards me. Her lips meet mine and somehow, I am on top of her and she is pulling off my shirt. My hands tug on the back of her dress. Pants off and dress undone I pause.

I look down at my beautiful girl and ask "Are you sure?"

She pulls my head down and connects her lips to mine.

She turns her head and leans up to whisper in my ear "I love you. I want you. I want this. I want us."

James POV

I lean against my car and quickly light a cigarette. I inhale deeply and blow out the smoke. I quietly smoke in the darkness as I watch Alma and George. I watch as they kiss and the way their bodies move in sync with one another. I bring the cigarettes to my lips as I look at the way that Alma kisses him. So knowingly and submissive. With me, she was guarded and tense. Anger rushes through me and I run a shaky hand through my well-gelled hair. I rub the grease ruminants on my jeans. I have a lot to lose, my best friend and then Alma may choose him anyway. I could just walk away right now, and I almost consider it too. But as I watch them lying there together with their legs intertwined, I realize I should be the one laying there with her. Not George. I take one long draw from my cigarette and exhale it through my nose. I throw the cigarette to the ground and then rubbing it out with my foot.