Beautiful Memories Are Made of This

George POV

This past week has been a lot of lasts and firsts for me. This was my last week of high school and hopefully my last week of living in Macon, which would also mean that yesterday's practice was my last time ever playing football. As for my firsts, graduating high school is a huge milestone, and today going to church is another first. Well by first I mean my first time going in a long while. Going to church was my idea and my family was ok with it. What can I say, I am gonna need God's grace to guide Alma and I through the crazy journey that lies ahead of us. On our way out the door, the phone rings and I rush over to grab it.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hello, I am looking for George." The man on the other end of the phone says.

"Speaking. Who's calling?" I ask

"This is Randy. Randy Miller."

"Oh hello." I say with a smile on my face.

My dad peaks his head into the kitchen and gives me is a quizzical look.

"Hold on second." I say.

"I'll meet you in the car, the head coach from Norte Dame just wants to go over a couple of things before my arrival tomorrow." I lie.

My father nods and disappears out of sight, but I don't put the phone back to my ear until I hear the front door close.

"Hi Randy, sorry about that. What were you saying?" I say into the phone.

"Everything is ready on my end. The job is set for you to start as soon as you get here next week. The apartment is also ready for your arrival as well. You will just need to call me when you arrive here in New York City. I will give you the addresses and we can meet somewhere so you can get the keys." Randy says.

"Thank you so much. I mean really I owe you the world for doing this for me and my growing family." I tell him.

"No don't worry about it. I have been in your shoes before, and I am just doing what I wish someone would have done for me. Besides people like us have to stick together. Please call me along the way to check-in. I gotta know that you guys are safe. I know this is gonna sound funny, but we are like family now. And it is gonna be really nice to have someone like me around who loves a woman no matter her color." Randy says.

"I will be sure to check in along the way. I promise." I say.

"Being that you have proven to be a man of your word if I don't hear from you for over 24 hours I think it would be safe to say something has happened to you both. And if you guys get caught in a random state and need some help out of jail, just give me a ring Maybell and I can pretend to be one of your parents. Also, you do have a solid plan set into place correct?" Randy asks.

"Yes sir, I do have a solid plan. We leave first thing tomorrow morning. Thank you for all of your help and hope to see you in a few days in New York City." I say.

"Be safe and God speed kid. God speed." Randy says.

The line goes dead, signifying that he has hung up. I place the phone back onto the receiver.

I go to walk out of the kitchen when an idea hits me. I pick the phone back up, punch the numbers, and listen as the phone rings.

Marylin POV

I sit on the park bench as I wait for George to arrive. George has been distant lately and I was surprised he even asked to meet with me. Us meeting today can only mean one of two things. He is either gonna break up with me or try to patch things up. I think that my comment at the table about getting into Norte Dame and saying that I plan on attending there might have scared him away. I only said that because his father was questioning me and I wasn't thinking when I said that I was going to attend there. Truthfully, I have gotten into several colleges since that dinner conversation and I no longer have the desire to attend Norte Dame.