Timing is Everything

Alma POV

A week has gone by since the whole George situation happened, but I can't stop thinking about it. I haven't seen him since our encounter. I used to see him and his friends pass by on my way to school every morning. I guess he stopped going that way to avoid me and that number he wrote in my notebook. It taunts me every time I see it but for some reason, I can't find it in me to rip it out. I am torn away from my thoughts by the sound of the buzzer and the crowd cheering as we win the football game. Everyone rises from the bleachers and we all rush onto the field to celebrate our win.

Samuel rushes over to me and my girls asking "So what do you guys think? Am I a great quarterback or what?"

"Yes." Say Ella

"You were so great out there." Says Ruby.

"You are a real star." Gushes Deloris.

The girls all turn to look at me as if waiting for me to say something.

"Well, what do you think?" Asks Samuel.

"Yeah, you were great." I say and give a faint smile.

He places his arm over me, beginning to lead me away from my group of friends and asks "Did you see the way I scored the winning touch down?"

Before I can answer Ruby says "See you later Alma. Have fun."

I turn around and she gives me a wink and the girls wave before I lose them in the sea of students on the football field.

I turn my attention back to Samuel and say "Yeah."

"So, you want to grab a burger or something?" He asks.

"I would, but it's getting late and I better get back before the curfew." I say.

"Oh come on, I got a car. Besides, if we go to the Diner we will be on the right side of town and I'll get you home without any trouble." Samuel says.

"No, I really should go. Maybe next time though." I say as I begin to walk away.

"You say that every time. You always say next time or I am busy or not today. Look, I don't understand. You always do this." He starts clearly getting frustrated.

I go to respond, but I have no reply because he is right.

"You know what I don't need to deal with this. Do you know how many girls in the school want me? So I don't need to be begging you to date me." He says clearly angry.

"Really? Then how about you go ask someone else to eat hamburgers with you Mr. Hotshot?" I retort.

"You know what I will. Have fun walking back home by yourself." He says as he walks away and over to the group of girls who were staring at him.

I roll my eyes and start my walk back home. I better hurry up if I don't want to get into any trouble.

George POV

I am casually cruising down the street in my car, just like I do on the nights I need to clear my head. There isn't anything like the sense of freedom and driving your 51' Muntz convertible with Presley playing on the radio. I always think about how romantic it would be to do this with a girl, specifically Alma. Ever since I saw her a week ago I can't get her out of my head. I mean she is the most beautiful girl I have ever laid eyes on. Unfortunately, I can't get the shocked look she had on her face out of my head either. I sigh as I wait at a stop light. Suddenly I am taken away from my thoughts when I see officer Charlie confronting a black girl on the street alone. I almost turn a blind eye to it but then I realize that might be Alma. I back up, make a u-turn and honk the horn interrupting them. They both turn to look at me and I lock eyes with Alma.

Charlie says to Alma "Don't you dare move or we're gonna have some real problems."

He walks to my car and says "George, what are you doing out at night alone?"

I open the door, get out and say "I am enjoying my new set of wheels. " I say.

He reaches out and we do our handshake when we get to our shoulder bump I mouth "Go, hide" to Alma who is watching us.

She hesitates but I quickly turn Charlie's attention to my car to give Alma a real chance at an escape.

"Hey come take a look at the engine it's amazing." I say.

He walks over to the hood of my car and as I reach over to pop the hood I watch as Alma quietly slips into the dark back alleyway.

The hood unlocks and Charlie lifts it up and says "Woah. This looks prestige."

He suddenly looks up and realizes that Alma is gone.

"Damn that black girl got away. Did you see where she went? I would have gotten it good with the boys at the station for catching a negro after curfew in a white town. They would have had a field day with someone as bold as her." He says.

Before he could do anything a message comes through his walkie "We need back up on Beacon st.!"

"Copy, on my way now!" Charlie responds.

"I got to go George. But you gotta take me for a spin some time." Charlie says and then run to his car and peels off.

I go and walk over to the alleyway where Alma is hiding.

"Hey Alma you can come out now he's gone." I say.

I don't get a response so I walk into the darkness of the alley.

"Alma?"

She stands up and is holding up a broken glass bottle.

"Wow. Alma put down the bottle ok. It's just me. I'm not gonna hurt you. I promise." I say with my hands up surrendering.

"Why should I believe you?" She says walking a little closer.

"Look it's me, George. The guy who returned your notebook. If I had ill intent for you, I would have let the cop bother you." I reply.

"How do I know he's gone?" She asks still skeptical.

"Charlie got called for back up. He's gone I swear," I say.

"If your not teaming up to bother me then why do you know his name!?" She asks clearly panicking.

"No, we live on the same street. He's a friend of my father. Look I swear I won't hurt you. Ok, so put the glass bottle down. I will give you a ride home. There is no way your gonna be able to walk home without any trouble because it's past the colored curfew." I say.

She holds onto the bottle and gets closer.

"Dammit, Alma. Put the bottle down, I am not gonna hurt you!" I say sternly.

She drops the glass bottle and it shatters on the concrete in front of her.

"Good. Now come on, I'll drive you home. " I say.

I walk back to my car with Alma trailing slowly and cautiously behind me. I walk over to the passenger side and open the door for her. She climbs in and I walk around to the driver side and start the engine.

"So where do you live?" I ask.

"143 Beacon street" She replies.

I nod, put the car in gear and drive off.
________________________________
Please like and leave a comment 😊