Chapter 4

The black van trembled and shook as he turned onto the block heading towards his home. It had been a long morning at work, and a longer afternoon of scanning the streets for any signs of a new victim. Wherever bicycles, and baseball bats were, little boys followed.

He slammed on his breaks and the van came to a screeching halt. It wasn't a young boy, but instead it was her. There she was in all her glory; standing at the end of her parents' driveway at the mailbox. Abby opened the mailbox and leaned in to look inside of it. With both hands pushed her wavy hair behind either ear. He took in the sight of face. He caught himself admiring her beauty. He tried to shake it, but he couldn't. She was different, she was special.

"Miss. Abigail," he called out to her across the lawn. He pushed the gear into park, and leaned out the drivers window as he hollered out.

Taken off guard, her eyes desperately search for him. Till their eyes met. Her big brown eyes widened as she looked up at him like a deer in headlights. Albert waved her over to him. Abby closed the mailbox. Her lips still parted, and her jaw ajar.

—————————————————————

"Al," she asked as if her mind was playing tricks on her. A puzzled look frozen on her face. Abigail straightened her back, then slowly and hesitantly stepped towards his van.

His giggle was sharp and high pitched. It sent a chill down her back like a true clown.

"W-what are you doing over here,"she asked. Her eyes shifted around the neighborhood. Her home had always been a safe haven. Her neighbor was warm and familiar. Albert didn't belong in this picture. It didn't match up in her mind.

He smiled and pointed down the road, "you see that brick house down there."

She leaned in  and squinted. Albert extended his arm and pointed down the road just four houses down.

Abigail turned her head back to him, and nodded slowly, "is it yours?"

"Yep, I bought it back in," he closed one eye, and made a clicking sound with his mouth as he recalled the year, "in...58."

Abigail's eye got large, and she laughed nervously, "I was born in 58,"

Al smirked then his tongue slipped through his small mouth to wet his lips. He bit down on his bottom lip dragging back with his teeth. This along with many things he did gave her chills. Like he was devouring her with just his eyes.

"Seems we aren't such strangers after all? Isn't that just peachy kean," he reached down to bop her nose, and then he hooked his finger around a lock of her hair and began to twirl it.

Abby avoided his gaze, she watched his hand as he pushed the lock of hair from her face, "1958," he whispered, "that would put you at twenty years old."

She nodded slowly, "yes sir."

Albert smiled, she looked up at him focusing on his bottom teeth; crooked. He chuckled low under his breath, "and your father isn't out here with a shotgun yet?"

She looked back at her house, and shook her head, "oh, they aren't home. Took another vacation because the weekend was just a trial run." Abby shrugged, "it's a long story."

————————————————————

"I have all the time in the world," he whispered.

No one was home, and she told him just like that. She really made it so easy for him. She was such a naive young thing. If he wanted to, he could take her right now. Shove her in the truck, but he didn't want to. He found himself wanting her to come to him. Like he wanted her validation or something. He wanted Abigail to choose him. What he would do with her then was a mystery unto itself.

"Tusk,  tusk...you are all alone in that big house," he said, "my door is always open if you ever get lonely."

Abby nodded, but she didn't say a word. He watched her carefully.

"T-thank you," she muttered.

Albert reached out and stroked her cheek again. Her skin was so soft and smooth, "You should get back inside before someone comes and gets ya. It's not safe out here anymore."

Abby pulled her face away from his hand, "it never was."

"I would never let anything happen to you Abigail. Good thing I can keep an eye on you."

————————————————————
His voice made her skin crawl, and his words felt so daunting. She wanted to believe he meant well, but she couldn't shake the feel he gave her.

She closed the front door behind her and laid her back against it. Abby let out a shaky breath, and covered her face. She could still feel his fingers in her hair,  caressing her face.

She raised her hand to her face and began to stroke her cheek just as he did. Part of her liked it, didn't she? A man touching her. Correction; him touching her.