Chapter 16

A few hours earlier

"Kiss up," Victor checked her shoulder causing her to bump into the display she was filling. A small plastic bucket of large screws slide off the shelf and clattered to the ground. Hundreds of them spilled out rolling out on the floor.

Abigail lost control of her face. Her eyes widened, her jaw went slack. She stared down horrified at the mess. As followed she then dropped to her knees. She began scrambling  to pick them up. She felt her stomach twist in knots. All she could do was hope Albert wouldn't come out and see the mess.

Victor watched her, while white knuckling the mop he was holding. Abigail looked up at him, "W-why would you do that,"she said softly. Her voice was trembling.

"Don't want him to see the mess you made do you?," Victor taunted her, kicked the bucket with his foot, the bucket tipped over and she grabbed it but the content inside was already spilling out.

"You are such a dick," she whispered. She kept her head down sweeping them into a pile with her hands then scooping them up.

"Better than a kiss up," he hissed, and clenched his jaw as he sneered at her.

"Y-You have no idea what you're talking about," she stuttered.

"Did you get a chance to mention how I was helping you. Or were you too busy throwing me under the bus? Or better yet was your mouth too full to speak?"

Abigail stopped where she was, she dropped the screws currently in her hand, "I have no reason to explain myself to you, but for your information... I was actually standing up for you," She scoffed.

The smirk faded from Victor's face. Victor tilted his head, and drew in his brows, "what are you talking about."

Abigail shook her head, and looked away again, "Forget it."

Victor stood the mop up against the register behind him,"Wait, your serious? You actually said something?"

"Victor just leave me alone right now," she sighed, and tossed handfuls into the bucket angrily.

"What am I suppose to think ? Abigail, You just stood there while he laid into me as if I wasn't trying to help you two minutes before, "Victor scoffed.

"It wasn't like that,"Abigail kept her head down, and sniffled as she felt her eyes watering. She sniffled them back up into her tear ducts.

"Hey, wait," he whispered. He got down slowly, "You really stood up for me," he said again in a low voice.

"Yeah I did," She shrugged, "I just told him to cut you a break that was all."

"Why? Why would you stick your neck out for me?" Victor began to help her, his hands were bigger and the pile on the floor began to downgrade in size.

Abigail took a breath, and paused, "Cause he is too hard on you," she said simply, "and I think deep down you are not a complete asshole. Though now I'm not so sure."

"You really said that to him," Victor raised his brows, causing his forehead to wrinkle, "that he's too hard on me?"

Abigail looked at Victor. She half smiled and nodded at him. Victor smiled back, "and you still have a job."

"Shut up," Abigail laughed a little, and smirked, "Do you really think that low of him."

"Most of us guys here don't like him. He's a creep." Victor kept his voice low, and keep shifting his eyes from corner to corner looking for him.