Chapter 24

Sunday 7 pm:

Abigail felt like the world slowed down to a crawl. She  knew the cops were going to come. Perhaps not to the capacity that they did, but she knew they would. They swarmed the basement like flies swarm hot garbage on a summers day. If Abigail hadn't been so distracted she would have been terrified when they came barging in. Though there were scarier things happening right now, in the very palms of her hands.

"Don't go," was what Albert said, but all she could hear was the blood, and spit being gargled around in his mouth.

Abigail was holding Albert; Cupping her right hand at the base of his skull to support his head. While her other hand remained at the mid of his back. She looked down at him, "Albert," she whispered through her tears.

Things weren't looking good for Albert Shaw. Abigail feared what would happen to him once the news got out in this small town. Although by the state of his health, it didn't seem likely he was making out of this basement alive.

"I'm not going anywhere," she whispered softly, as she swept hair from his eyes with delicate fingers. His blood smeared onto her hands. Abigail clutched him closer to her.

It didn't matter where Abigail was going. As more cops came flooding into the main part of the house their heavy steps rattled the celling of the basement. That's when it  began to dawn on her that they were going to force them apart whether she liked it or not. They were going to pry his barely breathing body from her with a crow bar if they had to.

Once again she found herself afraid of the same damn thing she had fear many times before. Was she going to lose him? She had been faced with such tragedies; When they fought to a point of no return, or when he single handily pushed her away like he did all the others in his life. Though this was different, this was scarier than the rest. This time felt real. It felt like it would be permanent. Like if she lost him tonight it would be forever. Just like George, just like Chrissy Blake, and just like Max...

Abigail had been crying so much that her eye sight was blurred and useless. Blood, and sweat dripped down from her brow and into her eyes. It stung.

"Police," they shouted while they barged in through the basement door. You see when six kids go missing politeness sort of goes out the window. The detectives came down holding their cocked guns out in front of them.

A low murmur came from the man's mouth, "Holy...fuck." He had stumbled upon Max, whose skin was almost purple given how long he had been laying there. The man stepped around the section of the floor that was coated in his blood. Three men gathered around Max's body.

"Is this the one?" They spoke among themselves, "He said it was an ax to the head. Isn't that what the kid said?"

It was now that she realized that Finney meant what he said. Finney Blake who didn't owe anyone anything; not Abigail, and sure as hell not Albert either. Yet Finney kept his word. For some strange, reason he  kept his promise. Finney despite being handed the worst deck, still came out on top. He was living proof that good could beat evil. Only life wasn't that simple. Things weren't as black and white. but oh how Abigail wished she could be as innocent.

Abigail let out a soft groan. She couldn't move, and now that her adrenaline was dying out, pain was beginning to take its place. She felt a throbbing soreness that spread up her spine, and the back of her head. She had fell before, and harder than she realized, but her injuries were nothing compared to Albert's. Even now after all that had unfolded Albert was all she was concerned with.

"Please, " She pleaded with a meek cry. "Please, help me," Abigail called out again.

Abigail didn't have to see to know the cop had his gun aimed at her. "Don't move," the officer shouted.