Chapter 28

8 months Later:

Dr. Collin was an honest man. He told things straight. He didn't beat around the bush. When Abigail first met him she hated that about him. Being it was almost eight months later, and Albert was recovering relatively quickly, or as Dr.Collin kept referring to it, 'Right on time.' Abigail appreciated his honesty. She trusted him. So when he suggested Albert go in for an another surgery she trusted him about that too. It was a small surgery just to re inflate a disc in his spine which had been damage during the accident; that's what they had been calling it 'the accident.'

"If we want to alleviate some pain, then we need to go in for a surgery. There just is no other way."

Abigail extended her hand out to Albert. He left her hanging there. Albert found more comfort gripping the handle of his cane.

"I'm not going under the knife again,"

Abigail looked the doctor, pleading him for help with her eyes. When she looked back at Albert he was slouched down in the chair. The look on his face was nothing short of defeat.

"If it's not the pain, then it's another thing," Albert said while running a hand back through his hair

"Mr.Shaw I understand how you may be feeling frustrated. A lot of the injuries you suffered are incurable."

"Al, just consider the surgery," Abigail whispered.

"Mr. Shaw this surgery is the most I can do to at least alleviate some of that pain. I really think you'll be pleased with the results post op."

Albert grunted, and nodded in response.

"Great,"Collins clapped his hand together. He slide over a pamphlet with the diagram of a spin on it. Along with a two page disclosure.

"Why don't you look over the disclosures. Look at the pamphlet. Then we can discuss further."

Abigail watched Albert look down at the paper. He pick it up and held it closer to his face. He looked up uncomfortable.

Dr. Collins was honest too when he said Albert was at a high risk for some vision loss. He had fractured his nose in two separate places. It wasn't guaranteed, but there was a high possibility that this could effect his eye sight down the line. Well it was. Albert would need reading glasses soon enough, but for now he was okay with squinting.

Albert was about the most stubborn man she had ever met. Maybe it was the feeling of his independence being striped from him. Or maybe it felt like he was losing a piece of his manhood, but Albert wasn't taking well to his new injuries. Not to mention getting old along with it. Safe to say you don't bounce back the way you used now at fifty-five.

Abigail looked back at the doctor, and forced a smile," Can we have a moment to look it over?"

The Doctor raised his brows, and offered a wide smile, "Of course, of course. Just give the nurse holler when you're done."