Chapter 9

She woke up, and Albert was gone. The soft sound of music flooded her brain. She lifted her head. Under the bedroom door was a light from the kitchen. Abigail crept out the door, and saw a small black radio with a long antena it was playing soft jazz. Albert was over the stove, the sound of oil sizzling and the savory smell of steak filled the air. He was humming ever so softly to himself.

"Do you need help," Max asked as he entered through the entrance in the living room. Then Max smiled widely, when he saw Abigail, "look who's up."

"Abigail, sweetheart,"Albert turned behind him, and smiled,"Sit down," he pulled out one of the wooden chairs.

Abigail combed her fingers through her hair, in hopes to smooth it down, "Sorry I fell asleep," she said quietly.

"That's alright," Albert pulled out her chair and she sat down slowly.

Max smiled, cheekily, "I will leave you two be."

Abigail looked back at him, "Wait Max you aren't eating with us." She asked, but Max was gone before she finished speaking

Albert placed two plates down. Abby looked down at the meat. Albert took a seat while grinning widely. He stuffed his hand into his pocket and pulled out a lighter. Abigail shifted her focus to the vase holding a single yellow flower on the table. It was like a yellow weed her mother used to pluck from their garden. He must have ripped from the grass. She always thought they were beautiful back then and even now. He held the lighter to a small candle.

"Max!"he called for him, and the lights dimmed immediately.

He grabbed her hand in his and kissed it.

"Albert what is all this," she laughed, and shook her head, "you didn't have to do this."

Albert's wide grin started to fade till there was just a hint of a small smile. He stared at her his eyes glued to her. She could feel him analyzing her.

" I lived in this house alone for the past twenty years," he said as he began to cut deep into the meat. A little blood pooled around the meat.

—————————————————————

Abigail took a sip of her wine, "That sounds quite lonely," she furrowed her brows, "but I almost understand it. It is not that I want to be alone. I just feel like I'm better off that way. You know?"

Albert was lost for words. He was in amazement of how perfect she was. Albert nodded his head slowly.

"Twenty years," she said through a smirk, "There was never a special girl," she poked.

Albert thought of the nameless girls from over the years. He could barely remember their faces. He cleared his throat, "No one who holds a candle to you."

Abigail raised her glass and smiled, " To being alone together."
—————————————————————

When they were done Abigail took the dishes to the sink. Albert wrapped his arms around Abigail. He held her from behind.

"I could get used to this," he kissed her neck, nibbling softly on.

She giggled, "What? The sight of me washing dishes," she smirked.

Albert laughed and kissed her head, "No, having dinner with you every night."

He spanked her on the behind softly, "You stay here. I have to feed Sam," he kissed her again.

She looked back at him, "Sam?"

Albert smiled, "the pup."

"Oh," she looked down at the dishes in the sink, the suds of soap filled them. She was red with embarrsement.