Chatper 12

"Dreams," Abigail said softly, the word slipped off her tongue quicker than she could decide she wanted to say it. Abby shook her head slowly, and felt a painful memory flood her brain.

Chrissy Blake, and Abigail's mother; went back way back to college days. They met in a Wicca club, and had been glued at the hip ever since. Well, their passion and fascination grew deeper and deeper. Slowly the innocent extra curricular club became dabbling in black magic. Abby was younger when her mother taught her how to dream walk. Chrissy did the same with Gwen right before she died. They had this idea of a perfect little witchy family. That was before, when her mother was still full of life. The day Chrissy died, so did Abigail's mother. There was only a ghost left in that house, a ghost that wore her mothers  skin and walked around. Well,  when you let something take over your mind; it begins to consume you. It was consuming Abigail's mother right now. The same way it not only consumed, but killed Chrissy.

You think recognizing a pattern would empower you to stop it, but Abigail just felt more helpless as she watched her mother fall down the same rabbit hole Mrs.Blake did. 'If you don't learn from history, you're doomed to repeat it,' that's what her father always told her. Abigail swore off the black arts the day they went to the funeral. She hadn't been to their house ever since. Only outside it, but she couldn't bear to walk inside it.

Abby brushed her delicate fingers along the her
temple, "I was about your age when I started having them too."

"So why  did you stop," Gwen  asked

Although she swore it off, the dreams never stopped coming. She couldn't stop as much as she wanted it to.

Abby didn't answer for a while, "I don't know, I just stopped practicing is all. "

"There has to be a reason you don't just stop," Gwen said. She was  absolutely was relentless.

"Gwen it's complicated," Abby sighed, and shook her head, "I grew up. I got busy. I didn't want it to-"

"You didn't want it to kill you," Gwen furrowed her brows, as she said it. She crossed her little arms over her body, "you didn't want to end up like my mom."

Abby was speechless for a moment. That was true wasn't it? So why lie?

"That's not what I was going to say. I didn't want it to consume me. I needed to focus on other aspects of my life, and it wasn't in the cards for me."

Gwen lowered her arms, and sighed. She took that answer for now. Though she was never one to settle. She always had to dig until she was satisfied. Abigail admired that about her until she was digging into her.

"Besides, I was never very good at it anyway. I would forget the dreams as soon as I opened my eyes most of the time." Abigail embraced the girl once more, "Your mom would be so proud of you," Abby whispered.

Gwen wrapped her arms around her tighter this time, "but do you think I'll be able to find Finney," Gwen asked, hopelessly.

Abby brushed her fingers through the girl's hair. She leaned in and kissed her temple. "You and Fin are the two smartest kids I know," she looked into Gwen's eyes, "Dreams or not."

————————————————————————

"You think so," the girl's voice got higher and more whiny. Abigail nodded, but the look in her eyes was very telling of what she really thought.