Chapter 6

"Come in, come in. Don't mind the mess,"Albert opened the door wider.

He began to tidy up frantically. He grabbed his brother's empty beer bottles from the table, and tossed them out in the kitchen. He turned his head to look back at her, as he was washing his hands in the sink. She was still standing like a lost sheep in his living room.

"Abigail," he barked, "Stop being shy. You can take a seat," he smiled at her

He grabbed the poster board Max was working on, and placed it behind the couch. Max would understand right? He thought. He took a seat on the couch and begged her to sit.

"Is everything alright," he asked, and grabbed her hands into his own.

—————————————————————

Abigail shook her head, and felt her eyes watering again, "I-I," she could feel her throat closing, when she tried to speak. She shook her head, and sighed.

He placed his hand on her thigh and rubbed lightly, "hey, it's okay. You don't have to talk about it right now."

She nodded, and thanked him. He leaned in closely, and for the first time she realized how blue his eyes were. Her face flushed.

"Do you like soda," he smiled, "you stay here, I'll get you a soda. Then when I come back we can take your mind off of everything. How does that sound?"

She raised her brows, and dumbfoundedly nodded, "I would like that," she said softly.

He stood up. He placed his hand on the top of her head and stroked her hair. Abby tilted her head up to him. He looked down into her eyes, and in that moment she felt like she was made of glass. Like he could see directly through her. Her stomach sank.

Abby sat on his couch, she was looking around at the room. So this is what a bachelors house looks like she thought. Abby scanned each corner of the room. Everything was gray. The house seemed clean enough, but it was obvious a woman hadn't lived there in a long time.

Albert came back holding two bottles. He placed the bubbling bottles of sprite down.

"So, tell me. Why are you so scared of clowns huh?" He raised his brow, starting conversation as he cracked open the bottle with his bare hands. He dropped the cap onto the coffee table.

Abby felt a pit in her stomach. She rarely spoke about this awful memory. Probably because it happened during such a dark time in her life. Abby looked up at him, shame and embarrassment coming over her.

"Oh my gosh. That story is so embarrassing.You don't want to hear about that," she laughed nervously and her cheeks went red.

Albert took a sip of his soda. When he pulled the bottle from his lips a jagged smirk replaced it, "Abigail," he repeated her name but he wasn't asking, he was demanding this time.

"Ok, ok," Abby looked away then back at him, "you can't make fun of me if I tell you," she locked eyes with him, and smiled.

He smiled back, and held up his first three fingers and smiled, "you have my word."

"Okay,"Abby whispered and took a shaky breath in and closed her eyes tightly, "okay," she repeated.

Albert leaned in and cupped her chin hard and forced her face towards him. Her eyes fluttered open, "don't be nervous, not with me. It's okay," he whispered.

He was strange, and at times made her feel like running in the opposite direction. Then he said things like that and it made a sense of calm wash over her. Abby raised her brows, and nodded.