Chapter 18

Abigail sat up straight and pushed hair behind her ears. She took a deep breath, then called out, "Come in." Although her voice was perky and light her sad weary eyes sang a different tune.

Albert sat down next to her, and the bed slightly creaked as he did. He was sitting just close enough. It took everything in her not to sit touch to him. Not to reach out and touch him. It was becoming unbearable to hid him. He was a dirty secret in her life, and she was never good at keeping secrets.

From the moment Gwen locked eyes with Albert her large beam faded from her lips, and her rosy cheeks turned a pale shade of grey.

Abigail scooted her body closer to Albert, "Gwen, I want you to met Albert," she placed her hand on his thigh. It was for just a moment before she pulled it away but it was all she need to get her fix of him.

"He's..."Abigail frozen for a moment, "Well, you see he's-" Gwen's eyes bore into Abigail's skull. It only made her freeze more, "He's my neighbor." she said hesitantly.

She  watched Gwen's face contort with confusion. Abigail looked back at Albert. Hoping he would swoop in and save her from this. He raised his brows, as if to say 'this is all you.' Abigail blushed and felt her hands start to clam up.

"W-well, he's my b-boss," she stuttered, and leaned back. Her bicep brushed up his chest for a moment. Then she pulled her arm away, "well you see.. he's my friend too, you know," she added.

She braced herself before turning to face Gwen to her surprise her face was only slightly confused this time. Gwen took a few steps forward. She stuck her hand out. Albert leaned forward and he shook  her hand with a smile on his face.

"Gwendolyn Blake," she said bravely, despite the fact that her fear was written across her face.

It was a strange conversation for a strange situation. It made Abigail feel icky inside. She stood up from the bed, and over to her vanity. Where she could escape for a little while.  She look at herself in the mirror. Her brown hair was medium length and came down to her breast. Soft curls riddled the ends of her hair. She began to run her fingers through it.

However she was kicking herself in her mind. How was she ever going to come clean to her father that she loved this man. If  she couldn't even tell an eleven year old he was her 'friend.'

Abigail listened to the way Albert spoke to Gwen. There it was again that burning feeling in her stomach. It was dirty, and seemed to claw at her insides. They way he lightened the pitch of his voice. The sudden switch in emotions. It brought her back to their first meeting. Before she felt comfortable with Albert. When he was a stranger to her. It made her stomach churned to see him talking to Gwen like that. He spoke to Abigail like that, like she was a child, and at the time she felt special. Like it meant more than what it was. Was Abigial that stupid? Did she ever really know him? Or was his sweet and friendly demeanor just a lure, and she was a mindless little girl who fell for his tricks.

"Do you like magic ," Albert asked in a hushed whisper.

Gwen nodded excessively, and a grin replaced her previous scowl.

"Well I just so happen to be a part time magician."

Abigail fingers were tangled up in her curls but she was too occupied. Staring at them intensively through the mirror.

"Yeah right, prove it," Gwen scoffed with such gall and spunk that Abigail spun around.

"Gwenie!" She gasped, but the smile that followed was unavoidable, "that's not very nice," she said sweetly. She exhaled and with the air, a small laugh escaped her lips.