14: it just keeps on coming

"aunt arizona, i got a puppy." novella said with a smile on her face. it was another round of chemo for her—the second time that week. she had had the new yorkshire terrier for around a week, now, and things were going great. cristina made new rules, and owen and novella would play with him whenever chance they got. cristina didn't partake in any of it, although she would occasionally pet it when he sat by her on the couch watching television.

"really?" arizona gasped, putting the chemo inside of her. cristina and owen were in the room, too. they were in scrubs because they were on their shift, but helen brought novella over with her car and they were able to stop by for a little bit to say hello. "what's its name?"

"his name is lolo." she replied, not even wincing at the shot that was put into her vein. she was used to it by now. before she wasn't afraid of a little pain. even the side effects of the chemo she wasn't afraid of, and owen constantly commended her for being his little trooper.

arizona raised her eyebrows and grinned. "lolo, huh? that's a cute name! did you name him?"

"mom did. i wanted to name him bailey, and daddy too." cristina sighed and looked over at novella.

"nov, we already know like two bailey's. and plus, we can't have a dog named bailey. everyone's dog's name is bailey." she reasoned. "lolo is a perfect name. it's unique and only has two different letters, so if you're too tired to say 'lolo', you can just say 'lo'."

"lolo also means dumb in hawaii and grandfather in the philippines." owen stated, while arizona just laughed at the bickering.

"good thing this is seattle then, love. i change one vowel and everyone thinks i'm crazy. lulu's and lala's are acceptable but lolo's aren't? what kind of bull is that?" cristina countered. arizona took out the i.v from novella's arm and put it away.

"lolo is a perfect name." she said, placing a bandaid on the arm that the shot was put into. "i could've been named georgia or another state that sounds a little more normal, but my name is arizona and i turned out just fine." novella giggled and arizona pulled out a lollipop from her lab coat for the little girl. she smiled and put it in her mouth.

"thanks, arizona! strawberry is my favorite." she stood up from her spot and swirled the lollipop inside of her mouth.

"really? mine too!" she rubbed novella's head and motioned her over to her parents. "i had a fun time seeing you today, novie. i'll see you again soon!" she nodded her head and went over to her parents with her mouth still sucking the flavor out of the lollipop. cristina grabbed novella's shoulder and stroked it gently.

"okay, kid, we have to go back to work. you be good for grandma, okay?" owen said, kissing her on the head. "we'll be back in a little." cristina kissed her forehead and then sent her out the door with owen right next to her.

"i'll be home at seven or eight. what time works better for you?" cristina said holding her daughter's hand and walking toward the lobby where her mother was sitting.

"i have lolo so eight is good!" novella exclaimed, skipping.

"seven thirty, then." she compromised, letting got of novella's hand. "okay, love you." she called out. novella waved her small hand and blew kisses to her mother, like she always did. cristina smiled. she was still her little girl no matter what she was going through.

helen smiled at her with an awkward wave and cristina just forced a smile and walked away toward owen, who was talking with someone unfamiliar to her. once she got there, she tapped his shoulder to grab his attention.

"so, i'll try to get home at around seven thirty. i have a few more surgeries scheduled and one of them is with teddy so i get to try out some new skills i learned reading that cool handbook you bought me." of course even though she and teddy were around the same league, and cristina was just a bit better, she loved working with someone who had years of experience and someone who knew what she knew.