31: weak then weaker

"it's not working."

"you don't know that."

"it's not! the doctor basically said it to us in front of our face." cristina was in one of the bathrooms of the hospital, walking around in circles. there wasn't anybody else there except for her.

she was on call with meredith, finally. she really did miss her even though she had bigger things to worry about. it had been a month of moving to california and the only place they've really ever been to was the hospital itself.

"patel said, and i quote, 'we're giving her a few more weeks'. and what happens after that? it doesn't take a genius to know that if nothing is gonna work, then...you know." she didn't even try to conceal her voice from anybody who could hear her. she was frustrated, scared, sad, and anything in between. she had been for months.

"let me go back." she heard meredith say. "she got the car-t cells in her body, she got a fever, and then she got hooked up to a ventilator?"

"exactly."

"so...they couldn't run some tests on her to figure out what it is? like, what's the hold up?" meredith said in a confused tone. cristina groaned.

"i don't know, mer. i keep on arguing with them twenty-four seven. they say she's getting the best care in the hospital." she scoffed. "as if. they won't even let me run the tests myself because apparently it's against hospital policy." she almost gagged.

meredith sighed. "get your ass back over here, cristina. nothing is gonna happen if they keep on waiting for some miracle to come."

"that's what i said!" cristina ranted. "but i can't. it's a program thing. and something could happen to her on the plane. flying first class and they still can't get good medical equipment or anything." it was silent for a while until it wasn't. cristina continued to moved around the hospital bathroom.

"i know. just call me when you need anything."

she looked at herself in the mirror before she looked away right when she did so.

"i will. thanks." an older woman walked through the door and went into the first stall. cristina watched her.

"i gotta go. i'll talk to you later." she spoke, already making her way out the door.

"'kay. keep me posted."

"i will. bye." she hung up the phone and made her way back to novella's room slowly. she didn't want to be near the dreadful environment of that place. walking in there took every ounce of energy away from her body.

so she walked even slower, trying to avoid the looks of older men and smaller children with cancer walking in the hallway. she was a doctor, and it wasn't supposed to scare her as much as it did. but she couldn't help but see a glimpse of novella and what could happen to her at any moment. at this point, she wasn't sure if she actually was gonna die, but she did know that she could.

she looked at the ground, watching her footsteps and the clean white floor she was stepping on. it was hard not to look away, but she knew that looking somewhere else wasn't safe for her.

but as a result, cristina completely missed the loud food steps coming her direction. she didn't look up until those footsteps stopped right in front of her and touched her shoulder. it was owen.

he had a worried look on her face, and so naturally, her mind thought of the worst possible outcome. she studied his expression for a while, his face seeming to infect hers, as she also had a demeanor of fright written all over.