𝐯𝐢𝐢. welcome to hackett's quarry

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧—chapter seven: welcome to hackett's quarry

August 22, 2021Hackett's QuarryUpstate New York, New York

August 22, 2021
Hackett's Quarry
Upstate New York, New York

HACKETT'S QUARRY SUMMER CAMP WAS CASSIDY'S FAVORITE PLACE TO BE DURING THE SUMMERS WHEN HE WASN'T HOME. He had more freedom here—going exploring in the woods during daylight hours, hanging out in the music cabin, stealing food from the Lodge's kitchen at night. He had done that a lot when he was a camper. And to this day, now as a camp counselor, old habits never die.

He's sitting on one of the wooden benches in the middle of camp by the big oak tree, guitar in hand as he strums along to a song that was playing through his earphones. All of the campers were packing up, getting ready to leave. All the other camp counselors were making sure none of the kids left anything behind.

It was nearing five in the evening. Outside was peaceful at this hour. There were few clouds in the sky. The blue fading into hues of violet, pink, orange, and hints of yellow. The birds were chirping. Small critters were running and crawling through the foliage and shrubbery. It was as peaceful as it could be.

Brown eyes flick toward the cabins, watching a squirrel climb up one of the railings and run across it, before hopping down and running through the grass.

"Hey, loser."

Cassidy climbs off of the bench and pauses his music, taking his earphones out and stuffing them into his pocket with his phone. He slings the strap of the guitar over his shoulder as he looks around to see who had called his name. His eyes land on Sawyer Graves, his girlfriend.

"Oh, uh, hey!" He waves awkwardly, not really knowing how to continue the conversation that literally just started five seconds ago.

"What're you up to?" she asks, tilting her head to the side as she raises an eyebrow.

"Not much. I was playing the guitar and listening to music, and then you came over here to bother me," he flashes her a grin, and she reaches up to ruffle his hair. "Stop!" he whines, pouting. "You know I hate that."

"You're cute when you do that, you know," Sawyer comments, smirking as she turns around and heads back the other way.

"Where are you goin'?" Cassidy questions, following her out to the front of camp.

"The buses just left, and I need you to help everyone get the bags so we can leave."

"This is Kaitlyn's idea, isn't it?" he replies, and she nods her head. "You know, I was peacefully enjoying my music before you interrupted me."