𝐱𝐱𝐢. basement of fears

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧—chapter twenty-one: basement of fears

August 23, 2021Hackett House BasementUpstate New York, New York

August 23, 2021
Hackett House Basement
Upstate New York, New York

IT WAS ONE-FORTY-FOUR IN THE MORNING. The wooden door behind them creaks loudly as it slams shut on its own. It causes the trio to flinch and turn around to look at the door. Cassidy furrows his brows as he stares at it. That was weird. But considering it was an old door, he supposes it tended to do that.

From above, though neither of the three could hear it, Travis had heard the sound of the door closing, the noise having echoed above and reached upstairs. He leans back in the chair at the dining room table, turning his head to stare at the trapdoor embedded into the floor.

"What was that?" he questions, furrowing his brows.

"Huh?" Constance turns away from the window, staring quizzically at her eldest son.

"What was that?" he repeats, gesturing toward the trapdoor on the floor.

"Oh, it's nothin'. We got- We got guests downstairs," the old woman replies. "We don't want any more blood on our hands."

Cassidy, Ryan, and Laura stay still in the basement upon hearing the muffled voices from above. Neither of the three wanted whoever was up their to know they were down here. They couldn't really hear the voices too well, so Cassidy wasn't able to tell Ryan or Laura which of his family members were upstairs in the dining room.

"Keep it down," Laura whispers to Cassidy and Ryan.

"You keep it down!" Ryan whisper-yells.

"Both of you shut up!" Cassidy snaps back, rolling his eyes.

The three of them stand there for a good few seconds before moving again.

"Come on. We have to go this way," Cassidy instructs, leading them further down the hallway. The room across from the door had an old rum still. As they walked, they passed many shelves full of crates, barrels, and boxes full of different things like tools and even more alcohol.

The shelves were everywhere. Stacked on each shelf were barrels of old, illegal rum, moonshine, and other types of alcohol.

They soon reach the end of the hallway-like area, entering a wider part of the room. Shelves were against all the walls, jugs and bottles of alcohol resting on them. Wooden crates sat toppled over on the ground in one corner. A bit of light was shining down from the ceiling.