𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢. shot through the heart

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧—chapter twenty-six: shot through the heart

August 23, 2021
North Kill
Upstate New York, New York

LEAVING THE HOUSE THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR WAS THE WEIRDEST THING CASSIDY HAS EVER DONE. No one in his house has ever entered or exited the house through the front door. Usually they go through a side door or a back door, and then walk around to get to the front. The front door or the garage was never used to leave or enter. But considering the current circumstances, leaving through the front was the fastest option.

It was nearing three-forty in the morning. Moonlight was still filtering through the trees surrounding Hackett House, the full moon shining brightly above. The trio enters the front porch and heads down the steps, walking along the concrete walkway until they reached the driveway. Both Travis' police car and Chris' van were parked on the driveway. Not that either of the vehicles' location mattered.

When they reach the car, Ryan and Cassidy get in first. Cassidy gets in before Ryan, sliding across the seats until he's by the left passenger side door. Ryan gets in next and pulls the car door closed. The two of them then take the shotguns from off around their shoulders. Ryan sets his on the floor at his feet and Cassidy sets his in his lap.

Travis puts the key into the ignition and starts up the car, pulling out of the driveway and starting to head down the road that was just beyond the house.

Cassidy turns toward the window, looking out at the dark forest as moonlight filtered through the trees. It was as peaceful as it could get right now. They were leaving the threats behind, not for long though. But that's what Cassidy was worried about. The others were still in danger while werewolf versions of Caleb, Gabriel, Silas, and Nick still roamed around the camp area. Dylan had already been attacked earlier in the night but Ryan had amputated his arm. As for the other counselors and even his girlfriend, Cassidy had no idea if any of them were safe or unharmed.

He turns away from the window and sits up in his seat, crossing his arms over his chest. The car ride was going to be quiet, he could already tell. The silence lay heavy in the air, and Cassidy felt as if he was being suffocated by it. It was hanging over them like a thick grey rain cloud. Neither he nor Ryan nor Travis really wanted to talk about anything right now.

Cassidy's right leg starts to bounce, his foot tapping the floor in a rhythm of disquiet. He doesn't know why he's feeling this way. Why he's so nervous. All they're doing is going to Mary's house so they could explain the entire situation to her and receive her help.

But what if she refused?

What if she denies their request and they were forced to do this on their own? The three of them already had a high chance of dying. They had no idea what they were up against; Fenris Driscoll was unpredictable. It didn't matter if you were alone or in a group, Fenris would slaughter everyone in a heartbeat. He kills and kills and kills until the ground he killed on is painted red, blood flowing in rivers of crimson.