𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. the discovery

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧—chapter thirteen: the discovery

August 22, 2021Hackett's QuarryUpstate New York, New York

August 22, 2021
Hackett's Quarry
Upstate New York, New York

IT WAS TWO MINUTES PAST SEVEN WHEN THE FOUR OF THEM ENTER CHRIS' OFFICE. Ryan had unlocked the door and let them in. Dylan gets to charging the phones, plugging them into some phone chargers that were connected to an outlet by a coffee table and red armchair. Cassidy immediately went over to Chris' desk and started looking through everything for something. Literally everything. And the others decided it was best to not be near him while he searched the desk, in the case Cassidy felt bothered by his personal space being invaded.

"If I'm not gonna be told shit by my family," he was muttering to himself, "I might as well find out myself."

"Are you sure that's a good idea, Cass?" Sawyer questions, watching as her boyfriend walks over to Chris' desk and starts looking through the drawers.

Cassidy doesn't look up from the drawer he's currently looking in. Not finding anything, he stops momentarily to answer her question. "What?" he asks, finally looking up at her. "Searchin' around my uncle's stuff? I'm tryin' to find clues, Sawyer! Clues!"

"No, I meant, the way you were yelling at Jacob earlier. What the hell happened out there?"

He's quiet for a moment, looking away from her and instead looking over at where Dylan and Ryan were on the other side of the office, talking to each other. Then, he looks back over at Sawyer. "Nothin' happened. Everythin' is fine."

"All right, then. Have fun being Sherlock Holmes," she replies, smiling at him before going to the other side of the room to join Ryan and Dylan on their little office escapade.

Before searching the drawers again, Cassidy checks on top of the desk. Tucked into the frame of a family photo of Chris and his kids, there was a tarot card. He reaches over and grabs it, pulling it gently out of the frame, before flipping it over.

TAROT CARD FOUND
3 OF ??
THE SUN

The sun rises over the horizon, illuminating everything in a golden yellow. They made it until dawn. Anyone who was infected was cured if they were still alive. Some lives were taken during their night spent fighting for their lives. But the others made it. They survived the night. That was all that mattered.

Cassidy slips the card into his pocket and starts looking through the other drawers in the desk. A manila folder was at the bottom of one of the drawers. He takes it out, setting it on top of the desk. He opens it and looks through the papers. There were hastily scribbled notes and a list.