𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢. the closure

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧—chapter thirty-two: the closure

(tw: mentions of self harm and eating disorders)

August 23, 2021
North Kill Police Department
Upstate New York, New York

TRAVIS HAD BEEN WORKING ALL DAY. The work was getting tiring at the moment, and he himself was getting tired. Very tired. Lack of sleep. Needed to rest. He had been stuck here since just after the kids were brought back to the hospital after the interrogations this morning. His entire body ached. His bones and his muscles. He had to stretch, maybe even go for a short walk, get some fresh air. But he wasn't currently in the mood to get up from the chair at his desk.

He had been making phone calls during the late hours of the morning, to the counselors' families, informing the kids' parents that they would be staying up here for a few more days to maybe one or two weeks before getting sent home. He had also filled out paperwork for the past few hours as well. It was expected. After the event of something like this, it was his duty to make sure everything was sorted out.

He would rather be home, though, spending time with what was left of his family. It was just the boys now. Him, Chris, and Bobby, and Caleb, Gabriel, and Cassidy. He wonders how they were currently faring after the events of the night. He knew how Cassidy had been, but he hadn't talked much at all to the others since.

But it was either that or be out on the road in his car, driving around the small town or take a fucking roadtrip and drive around the entire county of North Kill, with a steaming hot cup of straight black coffee, and listening to old tunes on the radio on low volume because he genuinely hated music. He liked the quiet. No one to bother him and by asking him favors. No talking. No calls. No one could bother him while he was in the confinement of his car.

His office was dark, door shut and blinds closed, and eerily quiet, the only sounds being his steady breathing and the soft hum of his computer's fan. He had zoned off quite a few times while staring blankly at his computer, even dozing off a bit. The harsh white light of the screen was burning holes into his retinas. He blinks quite a few times before opting to rub his eyes to help ease the pain that he currently felt in his eyes. Maybe he should have enabled the blue light filter on his monitor.

He had been sitting here at the computer for endless hours now. A few times during his boredom had he rested his chin on the open palm of his left hand, and even dozed there too. He really needed to get back home. To get proper rest. He hadn't slept for two days, and even that seemed like a lifetime ago. This happened every month, on every full moon, yet, his own body had failed to adjust to it. Not even his thoughts had adjusted, as he'd had some pretty bizarre and intrusive ones lately. It's become routine, and he absolutely despised it.