𝐱𝐢𝐢. stuck at camp

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧—chapter twelve: stuck at camp

August 22, 2021Hackett's QuarryUpstate New York, New York

August 22, 2021
Hackett's Quarry
Upstate New York, New York

THE DOOR TO THE OFFICE OPENS. Ryan and Chris walk out. But Ryan doesn't stay too long, having been told by Chris to wait out on the balcony outside. The Erzahler boy makes his way out of the Lodge soon after.

Chris closes the door to the office before turning around to face Cassidy, an apologetic look on his face. "Hey, I'm sorry for locking you out here, but you weren't supposed to hear that phone call."

"Look, I get it, especially with what Dad says about protecting me and all that," Cassidy says, not looking at him. "I know the whole protection thing is because of what my mom said in some letters awhile back..."

"Yeah, he's making a promise to Beth by protecting you. But, it's more complicated than that. It's not just about keeping you safe like Travis said," his uncle replies, locking the door to the office.

"Then what is it?" the boy questions, giving him a look. "Or are all of you just being cowards?"

"It's dangerous, Cass. Very dangerous. Someone could die if any one of us isn't careful."

"Exactly. That's why I need to know what the danger is so I can avoid it. Common sense," Cassidy replies, rolling his eyes. "Like, Dad said I can't go in the woods at night because of something there that could potentially kill me. I'm not allowed to look in the storage closet. I also can't be in the basement apparently. But that one time I did go in the basement, Kaylee tried to kick me out and then I got in trouble by my Dad."

"Yeah, they both told me about that..."

"So, anyway, what is it?"

"Are you trying to trick me into telling you?" Chris asks, raising an eyebrow. Cassidy nods. "No. Come on, let's just go. I need these kids to get out of here and I need to take you home."

"Fine. Whatever," the boy mutters, following his uncle outside. "You guys are jerks."

Chris doesn't respond to him as he pulls open the door and they step out onto the balcony. Ryan was waiting for them.

"Make sure they're all ready to go," the older man says to Ryan as he pulls the door closed. "For real this time!" He adds, turning around to lock the door.

Ryan nods and heads down the steps, Cassidy following close behind.

"Wait, how did you and Cass get your phones back before the rest of us?" Dylan asks as soon as the two boys rejoin the group of camp counselors.