Dusty words

The next night I wait in the cellar again. Waiting to be set free from the monster who trapped me. Well really I was waiting for Luke or Michael. I was so close from escaping yesterday.

Now I lost all hope.

I hate my father.

I hate him.

I soothed out my blue plaid mini skirt and sat on floor in the cellar looking out the window. It was the only way to see the world outside. I looked down at my lap and play with my roughly painted nails. I had nothing else to do.

Dad found my phone and smashed it, he chucked all my books and shoes away too. Now I'll never read to April at the nursery home ever again. I suddenly heard knock placed on my window.

My hopes lifted up and I quickly rose to my feet and moved the curtain away. I smile weakly. It was Luke. He knelt down on the pavement looking directly at me. He shook his head and looked down to the floor. The window was dusty and it seemed like he didn't feel like talking so he lifted his finger and placed it on the window.

He wrote;

Why didn't you tell me?

I cocked my head to one side unsure of what he meant. He wrote more words.

Why didn't you tell me about your father?

I looked to the ground unable to look into his eyes, afraid that I might cry. I lifted my finger and wrote on the dusty window back to him.

I know why my father is like this. I know. He's afraid of losing, losing himself and losing the people he loves. I remind him of my mother. I sometimes wish that I don't.

I have never told anyone.

Not even Michael?

Not even Michael.

Anger clouded over in his eyes. He flashed his eyes directly in mine burning lasers through them.

So you lied to everyone?

You would do the same

No I wouldn't Jazmine

We stayed silent for a second.

Why!?  He wrote pressing his fingers hard onto the window.

I shrug. I know why my father is like this. I know. He's afraid of losing, losing himself and losing the people he loves. I remind him of my mother. I sometimes wish that I don't. As much as he's strong, he's weak. As much as he hurts me, I can't hurt him.

I cant hurt my father

Your father!? He's a monster Jazmine!

Don't speak of him like that! He is just afraid Luke!

Afraid of what?

Afraid of losing me the way he lost his wife.

Luke was speechless, well wordless in this situation. His bright blue eyes were filled with emotion.

What if I was afraid? I wouldn't beat girls.

No, but you do beat your enemies

That's a different situation Jazmine

No it isn't Luke, your fighting because you are afraid. Everyone his afraid of something.

I AM NOT AFRAID OF ANYTHING!

I was about to right something back but Luke pounded his fist against the window. I flinched. His eyes blazed as they looked into mine.

Don't make me angry Jazmine. You'll regret it.