Dump

Jake's place was a dump.

Like literally a dump.

Besides the large bags of garbage disposal, worn out tires and ratchet smell.....it looked like a shed.

A shed next to the dump.

The smell of  washing material invaded my senses as we entered through the front door. The washing machine spun wet soapy, clothes.

"It's not as fancy as the rest" says Jake as we turn a corner and stand  in a small space next to the kitchen "but its what I call home."

We all placed our bags down.

"Cool, so where are the rooms?" asked Calum

"Here" says Jake and points down to his sleeping bag "we haven't built the other part of the house yet."

A part of me felt sorry for Jake.

I wished for him to have what I have. A large house with stairs, a backyard at least.....

I admired what he was like though. Always held his head high, always focused and determined.

We all settled down on the floor as Jake pulled out a spare mattress and sleeping bags.

"Not worth the walk" mumbled Zac as he sat beside me.

I turn to face him. I'm pretty sure Jake would be highly offended at his comment.

"Excuse me?" I say

"It wasn't worth the walk" says Zac "I expected more, more than what I have actually"

"Be grateful Zac" I say "this is probably all he has"

"Its different to what I have" he says "we could have crashed at mine"

"Your the one who suggested this in the first place" I say "now I suggest you keep your mouth shut before anyone else is offended"

"How could you say that mate, honestly" Luke says

"What's going on?" asks Jake as he enters the room with a bunch of sleeping bags in his hands.

"Zac is being a dickhead" says Calum

"How would my comment offend you Jazmine?" Zac questions, ignoring Calum's comment "living in a big house like yours I'm pretty sure you expect more than this"

"Oi mate" says Jake

"I would expect more than what I had in that house" I say

"Exactly"

"I wouldn't mind living in a small house like this, I find it lovely" I say "but I expected a loving family, not to get beaten every single day of my life"

Zac stayed quiet, eyes focused on the timber floor.

"You have a family don't you?" I asked Zac

He nods.

"So don't you ever  say to me that you expect more than what you have because others don't have what you do, Zac" I spat

I stood up and made my way back into the laundry and sat next to the washing machine. I leaned my head against it as tears pricked in my eyes.