Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR:

[THE NEXT DAY]

Charlie:
I open my eyes due to the sun peering through my curtains. Usually, I would just roll over and go back to sleep but I know it's going to be a good day. Summer vacation has started and I have THE PERFECT date for Nick planned today. It's not really my style, but I wanted to show Nick how much I appreciate him and thank him for how good he is to me. I grab my phone and see that I have two texts; one from Nick and one from Tao. I open Nick's message.

Nick: What does one wear when they have no idea what they're doing? Should I dress to be outside? Or will we be inside and cold? HELP ME!

I laugh and reply back.

Charlie: Are you really texting me freaking out about what to wear? LOL
Nick: I just want to be comfortable! Plus, if you tell me if we'll be inside or outside, maybe I can figure out where you're taking me xxx
Charlie: LOL we'll be outside but honestly good luck trying to figure out what we're doing :P
Nick: UGH can I at least know what time we are leaving?
Charlie: That's fair; I'll come round your house around 1PM okay? xxx
Nick: Can't wait :)

I then look at my conversation with Tao.

Tao: Are you busy today?
Charlie: I'm going out with Nick today. What's up?
Tao: Well I wanted to see if you guys wanted to hang out with me, Elle, Darcy and Tara? Like an official triple date (not like the failed attempt when we all went for milkshakes)
Charlie: EXCUSE ME
Charlie: DID YOU SAY OFFICIAL TRIPLE DATE?!?!
Charlie: ARE YOU TELLING ME WHAT I THINK YOU'RE TELLING ME?!?
Charlie: Also, did you invite Nick to something without saying UGH or rolling your eyes?
Charlie: That's growth Tao, I'm so proud
Tao: JESUS CHARLIE SLOW DOWN
Tao: Yes - Triple date. Yes - Elle and I are dating.
Tao: Also, who said I didn't roll my eyes when Nick was mentioned? You can't see me :P
Charlie: YESSSSSSSS!! OMG I'M SCREAMING
Charlie: So happy for you guys (:
Charlie: I'm taking Nick out for a surprise in the afternoon but I think we should be able to meet up later? Maybe after 5?
Tao: Okay, that sounds good. I'll set it up with Elle and she'll tell Darcy & Tara
Charlie: Sounds good! Also - telling Nick you mentioned him without saying anything rude :P

I put down my phone and start getting ready. The day Nick kissed me in the corridor, I immediately wanted to take him out and show him how much I appreciate the steps that he has taken in our relationship; in his life. Months ago this wouldn't even be possible; well, it would, but we would be going out today as "friends". But now, we're boyfriends and I can't wait to continue showing him off to the world. I finish getting ready and start heading towards Nick's. I really hope he likes what I have planned. I reach his house and knock on the door. Nick opens it and smiles.

"Hi," he says.
"Hi," I reciprocate with a kiss. "You ready to go?"
"Yes even though I would like to know WHERE exactly we are going."
I laugh. "Not yet."

We make our way to the train station and get on a train.

"If you're taking me to the beach, you're just a big copycat," he says playfully.
"Before I tell you where we're going, do you want to hear about the news I received this morning from Tao?"
Nick looks at me curiously. "You're not saying...."

I nod.

"OH MY GOD FINALLY!!!!!" He yells loud enough that people are staring.

I laugh as I turn red from embarrassment.

"You're so ridiculous," I say shaking my head, still laughing.
"I'm just so happy for them," he says.
"He wanted to know if we wanted to go on an "official" triple date now," I say.
"Tao invited me somewhere without you having to mention it? Is he okay?" He asks, laughing.
I laugh too. "You want to be more shocked? He didn't even say UGH or anything when inviting you."
Nick places his hand on his heart. "Oh my god it's finally happening. Tao is accepting me!"
"Loser," I say as I kiss his cheek, smiling.

Nick:
"Are you ever going to tell me where we are going?"
"Are you ever going to stop asking?" Charlie asks.
"No."
"Ugh," he says. "ONLY BECAUSE WE WILL BE THERE SOON."

He reaches into his pocket and pulls something out and hands it to me.

"Now, I'm not sure if it's even a team you like. I don't know anything about rugby..."

I look at what he handed me and see that we are going to a rugby match. CHARLIE BOUGHT US TICKETS TO A LIVE RUGBY MATCH. I look at him in shock.

"You did not buy us tickets to a rugby match. How did you even pay for this?"
"I had money saved from holidays. Don't get too excited. We're pretty much in the back --"

I cut him off by kissing him.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I don't care where we're sitting. Wow, I cannot believe you did this. I've never been to a professional match before," I say, still smiling.
Charlie smiles at me. "Are you surprised?"
I put my arm around him. "Never in a million years did I think I would be waking up today and going to watch a rugby match with my boyfriend. I feel like I've been saying this a lot lately, but I feel like this is going to be another favorite day."
"You've had a lot of favorite days lately," Charlie says, looking up at me.
"Yeah. Ever since I met you, I've had a whole bunch. Pretty much everyday actually," I say as I kiss the top of his head.

We reach our stop on the train and get off. I grab Charlie's hand and start walking to the stadium.

"Nick, you can slow down. The game doesn't start for thirty minutes," Charlie says, laughing.

We get inside the stadium and see a snack stand. I look over at him.

"Do you want anything to eat?"

I see him shuffle around a bit before answering.

"No, I ate before I left my house. Are you hungry?" He asks.

This is the second time that I've asked Charlie if he's hungry and gotten this same response. It seems like he's lying but I don't want to push it. Maybe later when we're alone.

"I think I'm going to get a drink and maybe some chips."

Charlie walks over to the snack stand without me to order. I go to take out money and he pushes my hand away.

"This is my date for you. You're not spending a penny," he says with the cutest smile I have ever seen.
"Charlie, really. You've done enough already, let me pay for this."

Charlie hands the cashier his money and looks back at me.

"You can pay on the next date," he says as he grabs my hand.

I grab my snacks and we head to our seats. The match starts and even though Charlie doesn't know much about rugby, he is fully invested. I think it's because it's something I am interested in and he actually does know the rules from his short time on the team at school. It makes me so happy that Charlie shows interest in the things I'm into. This isn't something he would be doing if it weren't for me. I know this wasn't a cheap date either and I wish he would let me help pay for it. Once the match finishes, we make our way back to the train.

"Still up for the triple date tonight?" Charlie asks.

I nod as I rest my head on his.

"Tired?" He asks.
"Who knew screaming at people playing a sport could be so exhausting?" I say, laughing.

It's crazy to think of a time where I didn't know Charlie. Where I didn't know these feelings even existed. I thought I was destined to be alone. Sitting here, with my head on his, is the happiest I've felt my whole life. I don't even know what I was doing before him. I kiss the top of his head.

"What was that for?" He asks, smiling.
"For everything," I say, looking into his eyes.

The train pulls into the station just as Tao texts Charlie about the triple date.

"Ready to go meet up with everyone?" He asks.
"Yes, but I'm paying for whatever we're doing," I say, laughing.