Chapter Thirty Two

Chapter Thirty Two.

[7 MONTHS LATER]

Charlie:
"Tao, we need to start planning for Elle's birthday party," I say.
"Ugh, it's still like a week and a half away," he groans.
"Without us, you'd be walking up to her the day of her actual birthday with a simple "Happy birthday Elle." You're lucky you have friends who love her," Isaac jokes.

Tao throws his hands up in the air.

"Okay, fine! You're right. Lets start planning," Tao says.

Nick walks over to our table and places his lunch down.

"Are we talking about Elle's birthday?" He asks.

Tao rolls his eyes.

"Ah, look, another person who cares more about planning your girlfriend's birthday than you," I tease as Nick and Isaac laugh.
"Guest list?" Nick asks.
"Easy. Tao, you, me, Isaac, Tara and Darcy," I say.
"Elle, Tara and Darcy made a new friend at school. She just moved here and I'm sure they'd want her there," Tao adds.
"Oh wow Tao, look at that, you are useful," Issac says with a smirk as Tao smacks his arm.
"Fun! New person added to our group," Nick says.
"You don't know if it's fun. Maybe she sucks," Tao says with a shrug.
"SUCH A PESSTIMIST," I say, sticking out my tongue. 
"Did you guys hear about the Paris trip?" Nick asks.
"Yeah, is everyone planning to go?" I ask.

Everyone nods. Nick and I get to spend a week in Paris; it doesn't get more romantic than that. Tao says he thinks Tara will be able to host Elle's party.

"So next Saturday works for everyone?" Tao asks.

We all nod in agreement.

"Okay, I'll create a group chat later and make sure Darcy and Tara are on board and that they ask the new girl that they are friends with if she can come."

The rest of the school day involved me thinking about how much fun Nick and I are going to have in Paris; that is, if my parents let me go. They've had a very close eye on me this past year, with good reason, but I hope they see how far I have come and trust me enough to go. It would suck if everyone in our group got to go except me. There's no way they wouldn't let me go. Once the bell rings, I race through the hallways looking for Tori.

"What is it?" She asks, closing her locker.
"How did you even know it was me standing here?" I ask.
"I can feel the panic coming off of your body," she says sarcastically.
"Haha, very funny. So the Paris trip.."
"Yeah, not going."
"What?! Why? But that wasn't what I was going to ask."
"Why would I want to go somewhere with a bunch of people I don't like?"
"Fair enough. But do you think, do you think Mum and Dad will let me go after everything that's happened this past year?"

She stops walking and looks at me.

"Honestly? I'm not sure."
"Ugh, that's the answer I thought you'd say but was hoping you didn't."
"Are you sure you're ready for a trip like that though, honestly?"

I feel myself becoming frustrated that she's even asking that but try to understand that it's just because she's worried about me.

"I wish everyone would stop treating me like I'm a baby, or like I'm made of glass. I know I have my issues but I've been doing so much better and I do feel like I'm ready for a trip like this. And plus, how will I ever know if no one ever gives me a chance?"

She smiles slightly at me.

"You're right. If you say you're ready, then I trust you. I just hope Mum and Dad feel the same way, for your sake."

Nick:
I walk over to Charlie who is talking to Tori which is strange, at least in school.

"Everything okay?" I ask.
"Maybe since Nick is coming, it'll be okay," Charlie says to Tori.
"That could either help you or hurt you. Who knows if Mum and Dad would want you in Paris with your boyfriend."

Charlie rolls his eyes.

"But he's been my biggest support through this," Charlie says.
"Charlie, you're not trying to convince me. If you think you're ready and the fact that Nick is also going? If it were up to me, I'd say yes, but it's not up to me and you need to have this conversation with them."
"Oh, Paris," I say.

Charlie looks at me.

"I'm worried my parents are going to say no."

Tori puts his hand on Charlie's shoulder and then walks away.

"You want to go ask them together?"
"I guess the sooner the better, right?"
"I mean, the deadline for permission slips is the end of the month, so yeah I think so," I say with a slight smile.

We grab our books and begin walking to Charlie's. I intertwine our fingers and he briefly puts his head on my shoulder.

"They're going to say no."
"You don't know that," I say.
"Okay. My Dad might be able to be convinced, but Mum? You know her," he says.
"I think everyone in your family has seen how far you have come. You should have more faith in them."
"If my Dad was a single parent, I would," he says with a sigh.

We reach his door and walk inside. We see Charlie's Mum in the kitchen.

"Hey Mum. Where's Dad?"
"In the backyard. Is everything okay? Hi Nick," she says with a smile.
"Hi, how are you?"

Before she can even answer me, Charlie begins to speak again.

"I need to ask you guys something."
"Well, your Dad was checking the garden, he should be here in a minute. What do you want to talk about?"
"Um, well," Charlie scratches the back of his head.
"We can't talk about it if you don't tell me what it's about," she says with a slight smile.
"The school is doing a trip to Paris at the end of the year and I want to go."
"Charlie, I don't really think that's a good idea."

Charlie's Dad walks inside.

"What's not a good idea?"
"Anything that comes out of my mouth apparently," Charlie whispers.
"Charlie," his dad says.
"Sorry, but it's not fair."
"What's going on?" He asks.
"Charlie's school is doing a class trip to Paris at the end of the year and Charlie wants to go."
"I mean, who wouldn't want to go to Paris?" His Dad says.
"I just don't think it's a good idea after everything that happened this past year."
"But I've been getting better! And Nick will be there! You guys even said how great he was with me this past year."
"Charlie, why don't you let me and your Mum discuss this in private for a little bit?"
"Fine," Charlie says with a frown as he walks away and I follow him.

We both go upstairs and sit on the edge of his bed.

"I told you."
"They didn't say no."
"Mum always gets her way," he says.

After about a half an hour, we hear a knock on the door as Charlie's parents walk inside.