Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE.

[THE NEXT MORNING]

Nick:
My alarm starts to ring and I slowly open my eyes. I don't want to be waking up this early right before school starts, but I have a fun day planned. Last night when Charlie mentioned that he feels like he wasted his summer, I thought it would be nice to plan a whole day of summer fun. I figure we could start it at the zoo, then go to the beach, play mini golf, grab milkshakes and then end the night by going to see a movie. Mum has already agreed to drive us around all day; if we took the train there would be absolutely no way to fit all of this in one day. I pick up my phone and call Charlie.

"Is the sun even up yet?" 

I laugh.

"Being as it's nine in the morning, yes the sun is up. You better get up too. I'm picking you up in thirty minutes. We'll be outside a lot, dress accordingly. Love you!" 

I hang up the phone and smile.

Charlie: Where are you taking me Nicholas Nelson? 
Nick: You'll see! Just be prepared for a busy day.
Charlie: Busy?
Nick: See you soon xxx

I get my things together and walk downstairs to see Mum waiting for me.

"Ready to go? Is Charlie excited?"
"I didn't tell him what we're doing. I wanted to surprise him."
"Are you sure he's up for a whole day of doing things?"

I shrug and sigh.

"Yesterday he asked me to stop treating him like he's going to break at any given moment. I was worried that the party we threw was going to overwhelm him. But, he assured me he would let me know when he's having a bad day; so I'm going to trust him."

She gives me a small smile as she puts her hand on my shoulder.

"I think that's a smart decision. He seems to have made a lot of progress while he's been gone."
"He has. I'm so proud of him," I say.

We get in the car and start making our way to Charlie's.

Nick: Are you excited? (:
Charlie: I'd be more excited if you told me what we're doing :p
Nick: Nope! I ruined yesterday's surprise for you, not going to do that today!
Nick: Come outside xx

Charlie walks outside and gets into the car.

"Charlie! It's so good to see you!" Mum says.

He smiles at her.

"It's so good to see you too!" He says as Nellie licks his face. "And you too, Nellie! I missed you, yes I did!"
"I figured you would want to see her," I say with a smile.

We get to the zoo and Mum turns to us.

"Is two hours enough time before our next stop?" 
"Yeah, that should be fine. Thanks Mum!"
"Thank you Sarah," Charlie says as he gets out of the car.

We start walking to the entrance and Charlie looks at me.

"Before our next stop? What do you have planned?" Charlie begs as he lightly tugs on my arm.
"You'll see. I just wanted to give you a day of summer fun since you said you felt like your summer was wasted," I say.

He leans in and presses his lips against mine. 

"I love you," he says.
"I love you."

We make our way through the zoo, stopping and taking pictures by each animal exhibit.

"Nick, do we have to take pictures at every exhibit?"
"Yes, we do! We have two months worth of pictures to take!"

We finish walking through the zoo and meet my Mum in the parking lot so she can take us to the beach.