Chapter Thirty Five

Chapter Thirty Five.

Nick:
I'm not really sure what to do here. As I begin to walk home from Ella's, my mind keeps bouncing around. Do I tell Charlie? Do I ignore it and hope it goes away? Is she going to try something while we're in Paris? I sigh to myself. I don't want to stress Charlie out, he's been doing so well. If I bring it up to him, would he believe me or would he think I'm exaggerating? Would he want to confront Ella about it? Hm. I decide to just keep it to myself for now. Maybe if I don't bring it up and just ignore what she said, it will go away. I get home and text Charlie.

Nick: I'm home xx
Charlie: xxx
Charlie: Hey, was everything okay today?

Shit.

Nick: What do you mean?
Charlie: I don't know, I can't really explain it. Something just seemed off.
Nick: No, everything's fine. Why wouldn't it be?
Charlie: I don't know, that's why I was asking :p
Nick: haha
Nick: No, any day I get to spend with you is a good day (:
Charlie: SO CORNY
Nick: You love it
Charlie: Eh
Charlie: I love you, though xxx

I am the luckiest guy in the world.

Nick: I love you too xxx
Nick: Can't wait to show you off all around Paris.
Charlie: Oh yeah? 
Nick: Yeah. I can't believe we'll get to spend everyday together
Charlie: I don't know Nick, I might get sick of you :p
Nick: Oh really?
Nick: I'll make sure to not share a room with you then (:
Charlie: I was kidding!
Nick: So was I; prepare to be super sick of me by the end of this trip haha
Charlie: That will literally never happen
Nick: See you tomorrow? xx
Charlie: Tomorrow xx

Even though Charlie doesn't know what's going on, just talking to him puts my mind at ease, no matter what's happening. I put my phone on my nightstand and get ready for bed.

[THE NEXT DAY]

I wake up with the events of last night replaying in my head. I've never really been in a relationship before Charlie, so I've never had to deal with someone who is interested in me when I'm not available. Except maybe Imogen, but that doesn't really count. She didn't know about Charlie and Ella is very aware of Charlie. I grab my phone and see that I have a couple of messages. One from Charlie, a couple in our group chat and one from ...Imogen. Well, that's strange since she literally just popped into my head a moment ago. Obviously, I open Charlie's text first.

Charlie: Are we agreeing to hang out with the group today? Half of me wants to but the other half wants you all to myself but it IS for Elle

I click out of the message and go to the group chat.

Elle: Thank you guys so much for yesterday!
Elle: Really, it was so amazing.
Tara: Of course, we're so glad you had a good time!
Elle: My parents are doing a birthday dinner for me out in the yard tonight and wanted me to invite everyone, are you guys free?
Darcy: I'll be there!
Isaac: Count me in!
Tao: I have to see if I can make it work :p
Elle: Or you don't have to come :p
Tao: Obviously I'm coming
Tara: Nick? Charlie?
Darcy: Oh, I'll text Ella too!

Suddenly, I am also contemplating if I want to go to this dinner. But at the end of the day, Elle is such a great friend to me and I don't want to not celebrate her because I'm afraid Ella will say something to me. I go back to my message with Charlie.

Nick: Are you really trying to get out of celebrating your best friend to spend time with me?
Nick: Doesn't sound like you
Charlie: Ugh I know but my social battery is running out
Nick: Want me to come over before and you can recharge?
Charlie: Yes please xxx

I go back into the group message.

Nick: Of course I'll be there
Charlie: Me too! Wouldn't miss it.

I then look at my text from Imogen.

Imogen: Hey! It's been awhile. Wanted to see if you wanted to meet up in the Park or something and catch up?

Hm. That's a little random. I hope everything is okay with her.

Nick: Yeah, sure. Want to meet in like 30 minutes?
Imogen: That sounds great! See you then.

I get up, get ready and start making my way to the park. I call Charlie on the way.

"You didn't have to come this early," he teases.
"I'm not actually," I say with a chuckle. "Imogen texted me and wanted to meet at the park."
"That's out of the blue, no? Is she okay?"

I love that Charlie and I are always thinking the same thing.

"I'm not sure. I'll keep you updated though. I figured I'd just come to you after?"
"Sounds good, see you soon."
"Charlie?"
"Yeah?"
"I love you."
"I love you more," he says as he hangs up the phone.

I reach the park and see Imogen sitting at a picnic table. I walk over and sit down.

"I made some sandwiches for us," she says with a smile.

I smile back at her and take a sandwich.

"Is everything okay?"
"To be honest, I've just been a bit lonely. I feel like I just don't really click with anyone anymore. And well, you and I have been friends for a long time so I thought it would be nice to see a friendly face."

I smile at her. I also pull out my phone and text the friend group.

Nick: Can Imogen come tonight?
Nick: She's been feeling really alone lately.
Elle: That's totally fine!

I put my phone away and smile.

"Are you busy later?"

She shakes her head.

"Do you want to come to Elle's? Her parents told her to invite some people over for her birthday."
"Are you sure everyone won't mind?"
"Of course not! It'll just be you, me, Charlie, Tao, Tara, Darcy and this new girl, Ella. Have you met her?"
"Not really, I've just seen her around. She's very pretty."
"Yeah.." I say as my voice trails off.
"What's going on?" She asks curiously.
"What do you mean?"
"Nick, again, I've known you for years and you never had a good poker face."

I sigh. 

"Ella, she sort of flirted with me yesterday at Tara's house."
"Are you sure?"
"Oh yes, she made that very clear."
"Have you told Charlie?"

I shake my head.

"I'm just not sure if it's worth it. Maybe she'll stop."
"Did she know you and Charlie were together when she flirted with you?"
"Yeah."
"Then most likely she's not going to stop."

I sigh again.

"If I hear her flirt with you today, I will put an end to it right there."

I smile at her. We catch up for about an hour before I get up.

"Okay, well I'm going to stop by Charlie's for a little before we head to Elle's. I'll text you her address and we'll see you there?"

She smiles.

"Sounds good. And Nick?"
"Yeah?"

She pulls me into a hug.

"Thanks for including me. I really appreciate it."
"No problem, you're my friend."

With that, I say goodbye and start to head to Charlie's.