Chapter 16 ✔️

—————
Althea
—————

"Listen to me. James is a tracker. The hunt is his obsession. I read his mind. My reaction on the field set him off. I just made this his most exciting game ever. He's never gonna stop." Edward panicked, worrying deeply for Bella and her safety. He worried about this most when he initiated a relationship with Bella, so it was like his worst nightmare had come true.

"What do we do?" Bella asked, looking between the three of us, hoping one would give a response.

"The only way to stop him from hunting you is to kill him. Burn the pieces. As long as he's alive, you'll be hunted." I spoke up with a breath. I was glad that I'd gone over things like this that could happen with Bella before her and Edward began a romantic relationship together.

"Where are we going?" Bella asked as he chaotically drove over rocks, roots and the rough surface of the forest floor.

"Away from Forks. We'll get a ferry to Vancouver. Jasper and Althea will go to Port Angeles where they'll meet up with Isaac, Christian and Alice." Edward replied as my grip tightened on Jasper's hand. My breathing had increased exponentially, and I panicked. I was squeezing Jasper's hand so tight that I thought I'd break it. No, no, no, no, no...

"I have to go home... now." Bella hyperventilated. "You have to take me home." While Bella protested, I only grew more panicked. Jasper recognised it based on the fact that his hand was at the receiving end of my anxiety, but has no idea why. He doesn't know about Port Angeles.

"It's not safe for you to go home, Bella. James will trace your scent there, and since you live there, it would be the first place he'd look for you." I choked out in a breathy, and shaky voice.

"But my dad is there. We—"

"It doesn't matter." Edward cut her off in a snappy voice, only caring for Bella.

"Yes, it does. He could get killed because of us." Bella retorted harshly, looking at me. As much as it would put Bella in danger, something had to be done to protect Charlie. After all, family comes above all.

"Just let me get you out of here first, alright?" Edward attempted to compromise.

"It's my dad. We have to go back." Bella yelled at Edward. "We'll figure out a way to lead the tracker away somehow. I don't know but we have to do something." Bella said, and they managed to come up with a plan. I managed to somewhat steady my breathing, but my heart rate was through the roof.

Bella and Edward would act out a fight, as if they were breaking up and Bella would tell her father she was going back to Phoenix to live with her mother so that he wouldn't go after her and he'd be safe.

Me and Jasper remained in the car while Bella and Edward got their plan into action.

"What's the matter, Althea?" He was beyond worried, and his voice gave it away.

"I—" I choked. I can't talk. My throat feels like it's closing up. I feel like I'm choking.

"Take a deep breath." He instructed, wrapping his arm around me, pulling my head gently to his chest. His cold skin and comforting touch actually help, but not enough. "What's the matter?"

"I can't go to Port Angeles." I whispered through shaken breaths.

"Why?" He wondered, not knowing the sheer weight of the answer.