Chapter 22 ✔️

—————
—Jasper
—————

"You're insane, Althea!" Isaac yelled at his sister, running his hands through his hair as Althea argued back.

"It's not like I want to see him!" She shouted back, looking as though she was on the verge of throwing the nearest object at him.

I should probably move the lamp... And maybe the entire table.

"Then don't. We can find another way." His voice turned pleading, but Althea's fire only burned brighter, and more fiercer.

"That is not how this fucking works, Isaac! You know better than anyone that I would not set foot back in Port Angeles unless it was absolutely necessary, so watch yourself." She threatened with a dangerous glare shooting at her brother to warn him against any further exchange of words.

All Isaac did was huff in frustration before heading straight out of the room slamming the door behind him, practically shaking the room while Althea threw her phone full force at the wall opposite her.

I knew she'd throw something. I should have thought about her phone though since it is now in several pieces on the other side of the room.

"Althea," I called out quietly, making her head turn towards me, her eyes full of roaring fire, but her expression soft and gentle.

"Yes?" She replied, a dangerous softness to her voice as she took a few steps towards me, keeping a small distance between us.

"Could you come here, please?" I asked, and with no hesitation, she walked over, sitting on my lap and looping her arms around my neck.

The second her skin touched mine, all I could feel was her hurt. No anger lingered, only hurt now rested in her.

"Is this okay?" She asked, referring to her position. I nodded, a smile tugging at my lips as her head fell into the crook of my neck. "What did you need?" Her words vibrated off my skin as I felt her eyelashes brush my skin.

"I want you to be safe. That is all." I replied, feeling her body tense.

"I would not be safe no matter where I am. I could travel to the ends of the earth or live in the fictional world of wonderland and I wouldn't be safe from this life. I just have to be strong enough to get through it." She said, pressing a kiss to my jaw before resting her head back between my neck and shoulder.

"That does not settle my worry for you, sweetheart."

"And nothing will." Frustration hinted in her voice as she pulled away, bringing herself to her feet and pulling a separate chair over.

"What are you doing?" I asked, noticing the loss of her touch all too much.

"I'm going to tell you about Ryan because you obviously will not understand my point if I don't." She retorted, falling into the chair, crossing her legs on it as though she was sitting on the floor and dropping her hands into her lap.

"Althea, you don't have t—"

"Clearly I do, so please be quiet and listen." Her voice was soft but sharp at the same time, and I obeyed instantly, not wanting to cause more trouble than necessary.

"I met Ryan back when I was 15 and living in Port Angeles. To put it shortly, we started dating after a few weeks and things seemed good." She had to take a deep breath before continuing. "The key would bring 'seemed' because it became far from good very quickly.

"Ryan was a vampire, a new one at that, which I had already known before even speaking with him. He and Isaac got along really well and both him and Chris were helping him learn the ropes. To get him used to be hung around humans and their blood, they used mine, despite being hesitant." She was holding herself together surprisingly well, though it was clear this was a hard subject.