Chapter 23 ✔️

—————
—Althea
—————

Jasper is fast asleep with his arm looped around my waist. I'm always surprised when he sleeps because vampires obviously don't need to sleep, yet he does when he's with me.

He says it's because he knows I won't sleep if he stays awake, and he'd be right, though I am not asleep right now because I can't help but feel that something is wrong.

I just can't put my finger on it.

So, for right now, I'm just watching as Jasper sleeps without a worry in his body, trapping me between his body and his arms, encapsulating me in his scent. A smell that reminds me of the earth after rain. A surprisingly euphoric scent that I have fallen in love with since I met Jasper.

Knock, knock, knock! Who the hell is at the door at 4am?

My adrenaline levels immediately rise, and I can feel Jasper move, either because of the knocking, or because he can probably hear my heart beat faster.

Carefully, I try to escape his arms in an attempt not to wake him, though I fail when the knocking sounds again and I jump.

"What are you doing?" Jasper asked with a sleepy voice, pulling me back to him, his eyes scanning my face.

"Someone's at the door." I answer, and Jasper looks immediately alarmed and wide awake.

"Stay in here. I'll answer it." He replied, climbing out of bed. I watch as he looks for his t-shirt, which was no longer on the armchair. "Have you seen—" his eyes scan my body and he notices his t-shirt on me and smiles. God, I love his smile.

"Sorry. I was cold." I climbed off the bed and grabbed his hoodie from the bedside table where I had folded it and handed it to him, even though I much preferred him without his shirt on.

"Don't apologise." He said, placing a kiss on my temple before pulling it over his head. "Wait here. I'll be back in a second." He went to leave, but I followed him out of his room instead, making him stop in the hallway and block me from moving any further.

"What? I want to get a cup of water, so I might as well come with you." I made up an excuse to come with him, and he simply gave in. I think he's finally learned that I will not stand down when it comes to him. I don't care if I'm just human. I will do what I can to keep Jasper safe.

We reached the bottom of the stairs, heading towards the front door, Jaspers arm reaching over me to pull me close to him.

Nobody else is here because they're out hunting.

That's why my heart rate picked up at the sight of a dark silhouette outside the door.

"Jasper, who is that?" I ask, my voice barely above a whisper as his hand grips my arm a little tighter.

"I don't know, sweetheart." He responded, not settling my nerves the slightest bit as he ticked me a little behind him before opening the front door. I flicked on the light switch beside the door, lighting up the person that stood in the doorway.

I let out a sigh of relief.

"Do you want to give us a heart attack?" I asked, pulling Bella into the house, half tempted to slap her up the side of her head.

"Sorry, I know it's late." She replied, a worry in her tone that frightened me a little.

"What's the matter?" I asked, slipping out of Jasper's grip and wrapping an arm around Bella, walking her over to the couch and sitting her down. "Could you get us some water, please?" Jasper was more than happy to oblige as I sat down beside Bella.