Oblivion - Part 10

I feel relieved when I get home, both cats are not only purring but meowing loudly too. I pick them up one by one and give them a big hug until they are satisfied enough with the attention they had been missing out on for the past few days. I had asked the sweet old lady next door if she would feed the cats and give them a pat, while I was away. After turning on my washing machine, with the clothes from the past few days and tidying up my house, I grabbed my phone and sat down on the couch. "I wonder if Jake has time" I say to my cat friends who have come to sit next to me on the couch.

Layana: Hey Jake, I have a question. Do you got a moment?

Jake: Hello Layana, of course.

Layana: I was wondering, do you happen to have any pictures?

Jake: Pictures? From what exactly?

Layana: Oh, From the time I joined the group up until the "incident".

Jake: Oh.

Jake: Yes I think I have some.

Layana: That's great! Can you send them to me?

Jake: Well, that's a bit more complicated than it seems.

Layana: Huh? What do you mean?

Jake: How am I supposed to explain that. It's better if you see it with your own eyes.

Layana: Oooh, you can bring them too or I can come pick them up.

Jake: I'll bring them. This evening? I assume you are at work now.

Layana: Yeah, about that. I'm home, so you can come over now or later. When it suits you.

Jake: Then you'll see me in half an hour.

Before I could say anything else, he was already offline. So I took advantage of the half hour I had. I took a quick shower to get rid of the hospital smell and quickly ate a sandwich. Just as I put the last bite in my mouth, the doorbell rings. I had changed my mind in the shower, I'm going to tell Jake about my visit to the doctor and the treatment I've had. So when we had greeted each other, I told him to take a seat on the couch. Stupidly surprised he looked at me "What's wrong?". "There's nothing wrong. I want to tell you something." I kept standing and gestured for him to hurry "Don't worry it's something positive" I quickly add because I could notice that he stiffened at the words. "Okay, I'm all ears" he relaxed a bit and leaned against the back of the sofa. "A few weeks ago I contacted a neurologist who specializes in amnesia. He examined me and confirmed that the damage I had is now completely healed." I stop and gesture that he has to keep listening because he was already ready to say something. "He also examined the pills Dr. Barret had given me. These pills were made especially for me to suppress my memory and recovery from it. So thank you Jake for saving me from that." I pause for a moment so that my gratitude is clear. "But there is more, my new doctor has given me a treatment in which my blood has been purified of all kinds of substances that were in the pills, among other things. I came home today from the three days of treatment." I smile broadly because it is such good news. But Jake looks concerned and leans forward with his elbows on his knees "Why did you do this alone? You know I would have come with you.". His comment goes down the wrong way with me "Listen, I don't want to sound mean. But, I've only known you for a month. I know that feels different to you, but you can't be there for me like we've been in a relationship for years. I've done everything alone so far and I'm not going to ask someone that I just know for a month to come to my treatment in the hospital, that just feels weird." If I hadn't held back, I would have yelled. I get that it's not easy for him, but it frustrates me that sometimes he seems to continue in the relationship where it once stranded for us. "Forget it" I say quickly, and shake my head "The doctor has told me that if I trigger my memory with pictures and stories, my memory can come back faster. And that's why I asked you for the pictures".

Disheartened he looks at me and stays quiet for moment "It is never my intention to push you into a position that you are not comfortable with." he sighs as he rubs his hand over his neck. Then he clears his throat and sits up, adjusting his posture to positive "It's great news that there is hope for a restored memory!". He smiles and gets up and walks to the coat rack where his jacket hangs. "This..." he pulls something out of his jacket pocket "...I made for you." he hands me a phone. I look stunned as I take the phone from him "A phone?". "Yes!" he is genuinely happy "I was able to make a clone of your old one from before the incident. Everything is in there, photos, videos, text messages, everything. This might help jog your memory.".