Chapter Fifteen

Chapter fifteen ~ edited

Three weeks later...

Caleb slowly got me used to the saddle. He tried his best at getting me to cooperate, I tried my best at misbehaving to make things fun. Even though he thought I was being a pain, I was learning.

"Come on girl. You're usually good." He said in an annoyed tone as I trotted away from him. I threw my head up in the air and shook my mane. "I give up. You're a pain today. What happened to the good Shimmer?" He said and walked to the gate. I put my ears forward and whinnied. I trotted over to him. He sighed. "You going to be a good girl?" He asked.

Oh please. I was always a good girl. He picked up the saddle and saddle pad and walked to me again. I stood still while he put the saddle pad on my back, then the saddle. While watching my reaction, he slowly tightened the front cinch, then the flank cinch. I stood still and watched him out of the corner of my eye as he fitted the breastplate. The saddle was pretty heavy. I should have expected that seeing as it was a western saddle.

"Are you ready for the bridle?" He asked me. I looked at him. I shook my head. "That's a no then huh?" I nodded my head. "Alright tomorrow then. I'll lunge you now, alright?" I nodded my head again. Lovely more running in circles.

Caleb clipped the lunge lead onto my halter. He clicked and I walked out towards the fence.

I walked a few laps around the round yard. I looked around at a car with a float that parked near the yards. I also saw Midnight not far away. A few horses from the herd were out here, the ones that were in the process of being trained. Caleb must have seen what I was looking at. He made me halt.

"Don't worry you aren't one of them. Neither is your stallion." Caleb said. He unclipped the lounge lead and walked to the fence. "I hope." He said to himself. I looked at Midnight again. Trent came out of the house and fast walked over to the lady and a girl about sixteen. I listened to their conversation.

"Hello Mrs Howard. I'm glad you came. I'm sure you'll find a good horse. What are you looking for?" Trent asked.

"Hello. One horse will be for my daughter, Stacy. We'll need a horse about 15 to 16 hands. And she does showjumping so we need one that can jump. The other is for me. I need a horse at 16hh." The lady answered.

"Do you want a certain colour, breed, gender, age?"

"We don't mind what the colour or breed is. As for the gender and age, I don't mind although my daughter wants a mare."

"Ok we have a fair few mares. Although they're are not fully trained so they'll stay for a few more weeks. If that's ok?"

"Yeah that's fine. Gives us time to buy some stuff and get everything ready." I stood and watched as they walk past the mares.

"I reckon you've done enough for today." Caleb told me. I kept looking at the people. I watched them walk past every horse. Trent and Mrs Howard talked about each horse.

Caleb led me out of the round pen and into a yard next to the round pen. He took off the saddle and took it in the stable. They got to midnight. Mrs Howard seemed interested in him. I snorted and pawed at the ground.

"This is Night. He's one that isn't fully trained. He is quite a pain at times."

"He's beautiful. Stacy have you chosen your horse yet?" Mrs Howard asked.

"No mum." Stacy answered.

"I'd like to take him." Mrs Howard said to Trent.

"Ok." Trent said. Caleb walked out of the stable. I snorted again. I trotted around.

"What's up with that horse?" Mrs Howard asked.

"She has a problem with some people." Trent said, hiding the bitterness in his voice. I whinnied.

"Shimmer no!" Caleb yelled. I quickened to a canter and jumped the gate, clearing it perfectly. I cantered over to them. Caleb ran after me.

"Get in with Night." Trent instructed. I put my ears back and reared up when I was near Trent. Midnight started rearing too. "Caleb get her!" Trent ordered. I kicked at Trent and hit him and he fell to the ground with a hard thud. Midnight kicked the wooden gate and it broke. He trotted over to me.

"Lets get out of here." He said. We galloped off into the woods.