Chapter Eighteen

Chapter eighteen ~ edited

Summer's mums POV

I sat in the lounge room with my husband and son. It was quiet. So quiet that you could hear a pin drop. It had been almost a month since Summer went missing. I still remembered that phone call from the neighbours.

~Flash back~

I parked the car and turned it off. I got out. My husband started getting stuff out of the car. I heard the phone ring and ran inside.

"Hello?" I asked, after answering the phone.

"Hello it's David. I just wanted to tell you that Summer left for a ride this morning."

"Oh I thought she would have gone for a ride." I said.

"Well she left quite a while ago and hasn't come back."

"Well as long as she comes back before dark..."

"Storm just came back... Riderless."

"What do you mean? Is Summer okay?" I asked, a sick feeling pitting in the bottom of my stomach.

"We don't know."

"Find her please." I said in a rush.

"Ok we will. Bye."

"Bye." I put the phone back down.

"What's the matter dear?" My husband asked.

"Summer's missing. Storm came back without her." I told him.

"What?" He asked, putting the bags down and walking over to me.

"She must have left this morning after we left. Of course she would have gone for a ride." I said, a tear slid down my cheek.

"Don't cry. She'll be okay. They'll find her." He reassured me, giving me a hug.

~End of flashback~

The police left a few minutes ago. They still hadn't found any clues as to where she was now. David found her phone on one of the trails, but nothing else.

Jason got up and walked to the door. He opened it and Axe ran in and jumped on the lounge. He rested his head on his paws and Jason sat next to him.

"It's alright mate. She'll be home one day." Jason said to Axe. I smiled and rested my head on my husband's shoulder. I had a gut feeling she was alright, but I was still worried.

Summer's POV

I got up and walked back to the farm. Midnight walked up to me when I got back. I ignored him and trotted over to Caleb. He was awake now.

"Hey girl. Thanks for saving me." Caleb said. I nickered and nudges his arm. He laughed and gave me a pat. I looked at the barn. The fire had been put out but there was still a bit of smoke. The fire truck left and there was just an ambulance here for Caleb. He was being checked out by a paramedic, so I walked away. I stood by myself under a big tree. The wind started picking up a bit. I listened to the leaves rustle and watched the branches sway in the wind. Trent walked up to me. I got ready to walk off.

"Hey girl." He said. I looked at him. Was he seriously starting to be nice now? He held out his hand for me to smell it. I turned my head away. "I thought you would do that. I guess I just came to say thanks." With that he walked back into the house. I watched him disappear.

Stride whinnied to me. I walked over to her. "Are you ok?" I asked her.

"Yeah. You?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You don't look so happy." She said, sounding concerned.

"Well I just... Don't worry." I didn't want to talk about it. I couldn't talk about it. She was a normal horse. She never replied and instead, we stood in silence. "I just want to go home." I said quietly to myself.

"What did you say?" She asked.

"Nothing. Just thinking." I said.

"Out loud?"

"Yep." I walked over to the other horses. They were talking about something.

"Are you sure you actually saw him change?" A palomino colt asked. He was another horse from the herd. I wondered if he was a shifter or not.

"Yes. He changed into a human." A blue roan mare said. This conversation was getting too close to revealing horse shifters to the regular horses.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"You know Midnight well. Did you know he could change into a human?" The mare asked.

I snorted. "He can't change into a human." I said, trying to make it sound believable.

"You don't sound so sure." She said.

"I know that he can't change into a human. He's a horse. You probably imagined him changing." I said. I walked off and the colt cantered over to Midnight. They talked for a bit. Midnight looked at me and trotted over. I kept walking.

"Shimmer wait." He said.

"What? And it's Fire now." I said, slightly annoyed that he was here.

"Fine, Fire. Thanks for saying I was a normal horse." He said.

"Whatever." I said and looked away from Midnight. He lowered his head, turned around and walked back to Sky and Shadow.