Chapter Twenty

Chapter twenty ~ edited

I woke up to find Trent staring at me. I gasped and stood up quickly.

"Uh hi." I said.

"Who are you and what are you doing in the middle of basically nowhere?" He asked.

"I... Um... I was... I was just..." He held up his hand to get me to stop talking.

"Are you lost?" He asked.

"I think I am." I answered in a small voice.

"Come on. Come with me." He said. He started walking and I followed him.

We got to the house ten minutes later. He offered a glass of water and I politely accepted. I told him my name.

"Where do you live?" He asked. Great. What did I say? Lie and say I was from... Space, or tell him the truth?

"Texas." I said. There was no point in lying.

"That's far from here. We got horses from there about a month ago. It's almost as if you came with them." He laughed at his own joke. It wasn't very funny. And I did come with them. I was one of them. "How old are you? You look about sixteen or seventeen." He asked.

"Almost got it right. I'm fifteen." I said with a smile.

"And you're here by yourself?" He asked, looking at me with a raised eyebrow. I thought hard about something to come up with. I couldn't say I was one of the horses. And if I said I was with family, he might want them to come get me, then that would be a problem.

"No i'm staying with a friend." I lied.

"What about school?" He asked.

"Um. I meant to go home this afternoon." I lied again.

"Ok. Now tell me why you were out there." He said.

"I was riding one of my friend's horses, I fell off and he bolted." I lied yet again.

"Do you want to call your friend and tell them where you are?" He asked.

"No it's ok." I said. Trent stared at me, then shrugged his shoulders.

"Alright suite yourself." He said.

"Thanks anyway." I said.

"No worries," He said. "Where does your friend live?"

"Not far from here." I said.

"Ok."

"How many horses do you have?" I asked.

"Maybe around fifty. Although two are being sold. A dapple grey mare and a black stallion." I didn't know I was being sold too.

"Cool."

"You want me to drop you off?" He asked. God dammit man! Just quit asking my god damn questions!

"No thanks." I said.

"So you're going to just walk back?" Trent asked.

"Pretty much." I said. The door opened and Caleb walked in with Nick and a guy who looked about seventeen. They all looked at me. Wow Caleb was looking much better.

"Hello." Caleb said.

"Hi." I said.

"This is Summer. I found her in the woods." Trent informed the three guys.

"What were you doing out there?" Caleb asked, curious. Gee. More questions.

"I was riding my friends horse and I fell off and he bolted." I repeated what I told Trent.