Chapter Seventeen

Chapter seventeen ~ edited

"What do we do?" I asked.

"Get everybody out."

"And Caleb? How are we getting him out?" I asked.

"Come with me." I followed Midnight into the stable. The smoke was very strong and it was hard to breathe. We made our way over to Caleb but Midnight went to the horses straight after. I pushed Caleb's arm with my muzzle. "Kick the doors as hard as you can. When they brake, get out!" Midnight instructed the horses. None of them moved. They were shocked and scared because of the fire.

"Midnight help." I called.

"Get ready." He said.

"For what?" I asked.

He shifted and picked up Caleb. He put him on my back. It felt weird having someone on me.

"Take him out where it's safe. Then come back and help me." He said. I looked at him then trotted out of the burning stable.

"How am I getting him off?" I asked myself.

A chestnut mare who I met while here, started trotting in my direction. She was from the herd. She shifted and jogged over to me. It was Emily.

"Summer I know it's you. Seth told me about you. I can't get Caleb off by myself. Hang on a sec." She turned around and looked at the other horses that were out when Midnight and I got here. "Damon come here. I need your help!"

A dark bay cantered over. He shifted into who I was guessing was Damon. They took Caleb off my back and put him on the ground near me. I looked back at the stable. Three horses ran out. There was about another seven or eight horses left in there. Midnight wouldn't be able to get them out himself. I knew Trent lived here. I cantered towards the house.

"Summer? Where are you going?" Emily asked. I started rearing and neighing as loud as I could. I ran to every window and did the same. I ran back to the front of the house. A light finally turned on. I kept rearing and neighing.

"What the hell is going on?!" I heard Trent yell. He pushed the door open and looked at me. I turned and looked at the stable. He followed my gaze. "Bloody hell!" He hurried into the house.

I looked back at Emily and Damon. They shifted back to horses. I wondered how I could shift back. I cantered over to them.

"How do I shift back to human?" I asked. Emily and Damon looked at each other.

"You can't shift until a month after you first change." Emily explained.

"What?!"

"How long ago did you first shift?" Damon asked.

"When we got captured." I answered.

"So that's what, almost four weeks." Emily said.

"Pretty much yeah." I said.

"Any day now." Emily said.

"Ok." I cantered to the stable. I stopped at the entrance and thought. Did I go in or did I stay out? I cantered in. I saw Midnight trying to calm a few horses and get them to go out.

"They won't go." He said when I got to him.

"Midnight i'm not bloody surprised. They're scared." I said.. He looked at me with confusion. "Everybody it's ok. Follow me. I'll get you out safely." I turned around and cantered out. The horses followed me. When they were out, I went back into the stable. I helped get the last few horses out.

Midnight cantered over to the other horses to see if they were ok. I cantered out and to Emily and Damon.

"What's your horse name gonna be? Mine is Sky, as you know Seth's is Midnight and Damon's is Shadow." Emily asked when I got to them. I looked at the barn.

"Fire." I said.

No one said anything for a while. It was painfully quiet between the four of us until Damon broke the silence. "Pretty."

"Thanks."

"Since not all of the herd are shifters we call each other by our horse names." Emily said.

"Ok." I saw Midnight walking over to us. I turned around and walked off into the woods.

I reached a spot where I could see the stable. I could hear a siren blaring in the distance. I knew it was a fire truck. I looked up at the sky. I missed my family. I knew they were probably worried sick about me.

"I love you." I said, even though my family wouldn't be able to hear me. "I'll come home one day." I laid down on my side and closed my eyes.