Chapter 4: Everything Is Wrong

Long Tall Sally
~ Little Richard

"We're gonna have some fun tonight
Whoo, have some fun tonight
Everything's all right
Have some fun
Have me some fun tonight"

"We're gonna have some fun tonightWhoo, have some fun tonightEverything's all rightHave some funHave me some fun tonight"

CHAPTER 4: EVERYTHING IS WRONG

        September, 1963
        "I heard Dot talking about catering? And, I know I shouldn't be snooping, but she ordered a ton of flowers apparently..." Nadine tilted her head as she stared at herself in the mirror. She had on a pair of bell bottoms, a floral crop top, and a big belt. She slipped on her chucks, as well.

        "What do you think it's all for?" She asked Eli, staring at herself in the mirror. She was forgetting something. "I don't know... and I don't know if I want to find out." Nadine sighed as she couldn't remember what she was forgetting. "It's your jacket, Nady. You're forgetting your jacket." Eli spoke while grabbing a jacket and handing it to her.

        "No, I'm not wearing that one this time. But I am wearing a jacket, so thanks for that." Nadine walked over to her closet and picked out a corduroy coat, putting it on over the crop top. "You're not wearing your brown one? You always wear this one..." He lifted up her zip up. She shook her head, taking it and putting it on her bed. "Yeah, I'm not feeling the hope it gives anymore, to be honest."

        Eli sighed, looking at her with sad eyes. "Why hasn't he come yet?" He asked while playing with his fingers. "It's complicated. I can explain later." She responded. She took out the pebble from her jacket pocket and stared at it for a second before sighing and putting it back in her zip up. It had been 4 full months since she fell into the streets of Dallas. 4 months without word from any of the Hargreeves siblings. 4 months without him.

~~~~~

        "Did you hear what's going on in Birmingham?" Eli asked as they walked out of the house. "It's not just Birmingham, ponyboy. It's the entire country. A change is coming and racist white people are kicking and screaming to keep segregation and oppression alive." Nadine responded, fixing how her jacket fell on her shoulders.

        They got into the truck and he started it up. "It's about damn time, too." He commented making her nod in agreement, blowing out some air from between puckered lips. They drove down the long driveway and she watched as they passed trees, staring out the window. She sucked in a breath, noticing Billy standing at a tree, staring at them. "Jesus Christ, he scares me sometimes."

        Wren lifted her head from the backseat and nodded. "He's a creepy motherfucker. Have you been practicing your magic like we talked about? And conserving energy?" The girl gave a small nod, smiling. "Who was it?" Eli asked, giving her a concerned look.

        "Billy, who else?" Nadine watched as Eli got uncomfortable, shifting in his seat. "Hey, did something happen?" She asked him. "Um, I dunno. It might be nothing. I've just felt, um, a ton of people we know staring at me recently. Like they're all waiting for me to snap or something." Nadine lifted an eyebrow at the thought, rubbing his arm gently. "Hey, it's gonna be okay."