09 - Surprise! #2

May 16th, 5:30 PM

"He's occupied, right?" James whispered as we walked to a table. "Yeah, he's busy talking to Martin. He doesn't suspect a thing!" I replied in a whisper as well. James gave me a thumbs up.

We stood at a table and I was staring down at what was laid before me. It was perfect! It was the chocolate ice cream cake which I had ordered, and sticking out were candles that said 'Happy Birthday Thomas'. It was so tempting!

"There was something else with the cake... two sparkling candles," James said and gave the candles to me. "Cool! These will be awesome to put on the cake!" I said with excitement. I can't wait till Thomas sees the whole thing!

"Well, you better get back before he gets suspicious!" James said. I told him that I'll be back with Thomas in five minutes to do the cake cutting ceremony and then ran off.

I stopped right behind him, breathless, and tapped him on the shoulder. "Hey Ellie! Where did you go? And why are you panting?" Thomas asked with confusion. "I had... to go... to meet... James. He wanted... to talk to... me," I replied, between breaths.

"Umm, Martin, I think James wanted to speak to you. He said it was important," I looked over to James and winked, which indicated that he should go and get everyone ready. He understood and walked away.

Martin give me a 'thumbs up' from the distance and I told Thomas, "I wanted to show you something. Nothing special, just a surprise! Follow me but, you have to wear this." I took out a red bandana and wrapped it around Thomas' eyes. "Can you see anything?" I questioned. "Nope! I'm blind as a bat!" He chuckled.

"Umm El, how am I supposed to follow you when I can't see you?" He said, waving his arms around like a blind person. I laughed and took his hand, "I'll guide you!"

We walked for about 2 minutes till we came to the table where the cake was set. Everyone was standing behind the table and were smiling and grinning. The candles were lit and sparkling.

"Okay Thomas, you can take the cloth off!" I instructed as I let go of his hand. He reached you to his eyes and removed it. The look of surprise and shock was unexplainable. He was so happy and stunned that he couldn't stop smiling. He looked so adorable! Everyone cheered and started singing 'Happy Birthday'.

"Oh my God! You did this for me?" He asked as he pulled me into a hug. "Yeah of course! We all did it together. You gave me an amazing surprise, I thought I should do something in return... you like it?" I said. He let go of me.

"Like it?! I bloody love it! I wasn't expecting anything! Thank you El, you made my day and thank you all! You guys are the best!" He announced as he faced everyone. Thomas walked up to the cake, I did too.

He was looking at it as he's never seen a cake before. "Those candles are awesome! And is it chocolate? Chocolate's my all time favourite! It's an ice cream cake?! EPIC!" I just giggled. "Well, don't waste any more time... blow the candles, make a wish!" I insisted. Thomas blew all the letter candles and then everyone applauded. He held the knife, I placed my hand on top of his and we cut the cake.

Honestly, the cake was delicious! The ice cream was creamy and sweet, just how it should be, and the chocolate fudge cake melted in my mouth! I wanted to eat the whole thing but, my stomach wouldn't let me.

"The cake was yum! Thanks El! When did you get it?" Thomas said as he put his plate down on table. I explained that I had ordered it from an online website and they delivered it in the morning.

Everyone did their share in cleaning up. I took a few plates and Thomas took the board where the cake was once placed.

This is my chance! I thought.