November 1992

Ron: But you haven't really got to know Mrs Norris. Honestly, we're much better off without her.

You see Ginny's lip tremble and hesitate to stop Ron.

Ron: Stuff like this doesn't often happen at Hogwarts. They'll catch the maniac who did it and have him out of here in no time. I just hope he's got time to petrify Filch before he's expelled-

Y/n: Really, Ron?! What's wrong with you?!

Ron: I'm only joking-

Ginny had blanched, and you look at Ron with a disappointed look. You take Ginny's hand.

Y/n: Come on, Ginny, let's get out of here. Your brother clearly isn't thinking straight right now.

Ron: Y/n! It was a joke!

Y/n: Well it wasn't very funny!

You say as you walk out of the Great Hall, Ginny shaking.

Y/n: Are you okay?

You ask her once you're alone.

Ginny: I... Y/n, I think I might've done it...

Y/n: What? What do you mean?

Ginny: I think I'm the one who wrote the stuff on the wall... and petrified Mrs Norris.

You look at her in shock.

Y/n: Wh-what...? But then... why are you... "thinking"? Aren't you sure?

Ginny: I- I think I wasn't doing it willingly... Someone... Something is taking over my mind...

Y/n: What? How? What is it?

Ginny: There's this diary... I talked to somebody through it... I wrote in the diary, and his answer would appear... I think he's making me do this, Y/n...

Y/n: Are you serious? You should- You should give that diary to a Professor, then! It's dangerous!

Ginny: No! They're gonna know I did it, and expell me!

Y/n: They won't expell you, that's not your fault!

Ginny: But I still did it! Y/n, I'm so scared, I don't want to hurt more people!

Y/n: You won't! Show me that diary, I'll try to do some research.

Ginny nods, with teary eyes, as she walks away to go grab it. Once she returns, you both go to a bathroom for more discretion.

Y/n: Do you mind me telling Hermione? She could help us research.

Ginny: Please don't tell her! It's not that I don't trust her but... the more people know, the more there's a risk a teacher learns.

Y/n: Okay, I understand. I'll surely find something by myself. Can I keep it?

Ginny: No! It's too dangerous.

Y/n: Then promise me you won't open it again.

Ginny: I promise.

Y/n: Okay, let's go.

Time skip

You, Luna, and Ginny, are together in Charms class as always. You usually sit next to Colin Creevey and Ginny, but this time, Colin doesn't show up to class. Worried, you lift your hand up.

Flitwick: Yes, Miss Granger?

Y/n: Excuse me Professor, but do you happen to know where Colin Creevey is? He never missed a class before...

Flitwick: You should ask Professor McGonagall, she's Gryffindor Head after all.

Y/n: Yes, you're right, I'm sorry, Professor.

After the class is finished, you, Ginny, and Luna search for Professor McGonagall but you stumble across a terrified Neville Longbottom instead.

Ginny: Neville? Are you okay?

Neville: Haven't you heard the news?

Y/n: What news?

Neville: It's Colin Creevey... He was petrified!

You look at Ginny, who looks at you in pure terror, as she holds back her tears.

Neville: I just traded a talisman which should protect me... I'm almost a Squib after all...

Y/n: What are you talking about? You're a pure-blood, Neville. Malfoy was right after all... The Heir of Slytherin is after Muggle-borns like Colin... like me.

Neville: Oh... Be careful, then... I guess you need the talisman more than I do...

Y/n: No, it's fine, Neville, I'll be fine, keep it. We gotta go.

As you say these last words, you take Ginny's hand and you walk away with her and Luna.