December 1994

Y/n: Neville invited you? Aw you're lucky, I wish I could go to the Yule Ball.

Ginny: Surely someone will invite you, too?

Y/n: I'm not really friends with older people, Ginny, you know that.

Ginny: I don't think Ron and Harry have dates yet.

Y/n: I'm not going with my sister's friends, that would be so awkward.

Ginny: Do you want to go or not?

Y/n: I'll find an alternative.

Ginny: Sure you'll do.

You turn to Luna.

Y/n: Luna, do you want to skip the Yule Ball with me? Like, stay outside and watch through the windows.

Luna laughs.

Luna: Sure!

For some reason, you feel very happy about it and start to think about what you will do and talk about during the night. The idea of going to the Yule Ball doesn't seem so tempting anymore when you can just spend the evening with your best friend.

Later, he comes up to you again, this time not wearing the badge, which you appreciate.

Draco: Hey Y/n.

Y/n: That's the first time you call me by my first name-

Draco: Do you prefer Granger?

Y/n: I didn't say that, you can call me by my first name. So what do you want?

Draco: I don't have a date for the Yule Ball yet.

Y/n: Aren't you going with Pansy Parkinson? She's your girlfriend after all.

Draco: What? She's not, she's never been. I can't believe she's still telling those lies to everyone.

Y/n: Oh. Well, who do YOU want to go with?

Draco: I'm not sure. I asked Daphne but she had a date already. Do you want to go with me?

You look surprised. He must be desperate not to go with Pansy. But you can't say yes now, you promised Luna you would stick together during the Yule Ball...

Y/n: Sorry, I'm- I have plans.

Draco: Oh. Guess I am going with Pansy then.

Y/n: I'm sorry.