Chapter 6 - The pang

Kayla had just run down to meet her surfing instructor at the shore as Megan sat down on the mat she had laid out ready to sun bathe in the morning sunlight. She was confident the layers of sunscreen she had applied to her skin were going to protect her from the sun burn damage she would have to endure during this summer. It was pipping hot in California, but she was loving every second being away from her small home town.

She pushed her sunglasses down to her nose as she laid down with the direct view of the ocean still ahead. Her thoughts wondering if he was going to be there today. Why was she thinking about him so early in the morning? It was only 9:30am and she had a bagel earlier so she couldn't really blame it on hunger, but she was hoping she would see him surfing again this morning. That's part of her selfish reason for her wasting her morning watching Kayla take up her surfing program when she could have slept in. Her unselfish reason for watching the surfing sessions was for her to be there for her best friend despite how uninterested she felt in the sport. She kinda felt guilty coming to that particular verdict, but she was already there eyes all wide and ready to catch a glimpse of him. She brushed thoughts of him out of her mind picking up her phone for a second to take a photo of her now tanned legs in front of the clear view of the ocean, the people in the background not even bothering her about the aesthetics of it all.

She just wanted to relish in that moment and have it imprinted for a life time. She felt free! Alone on the beach full of people, but free! From her mind, from Brandon, from her small town life, from her lingering self doubt thoughts that have plagued her ever since graduation. The uncertainty of what life will be like after high school was torturous to her, but she had decided that she would take this camp experience as an escape from it all. Until she got back and had to face all those dreadful pending college applications she had filled within the past few months.

"That's cute" she heard Heather sit down next to her on the mat pointing out the picture that she had just taken in full display on her phone. Meg was aware that she was just a few minutes behind because she wasn't ready when they left their room but they had planned to go to the beach together again that morning.

"Yeah, I just took it right now!" Meg said abit embarrassed she had seen the photo but also happy she thought it was cute "Kayla and I are planning on putting together a scrapbook for this summer so that we can have these memories when we go off to college " the lump in her throat was slowly building up thinking of all that's yet to happen in the near future. Were they even going to be able to go to the same university as they always planned or will fate pull a cruel prank and separate them from their dream schools and have them far apart? Everything felt so uncertain and uncomfortable and she decided that she wanted to change the subject before she got emotional.

"So how was your date with Jeremy?" Heather gasped in shock and choked up a little to the words she was hearing.

"Whaaa... uhm what?" She tried to compose herself with panic clear in her voice "it wasn't a date!" She exclaimed in a hush voice but continued "It wasn't really a date, we were just hanging out" she finally finished gaining her composure.

Megan moved on the mat directly facing her to urge her to explain herself. Not in a rude way, but she was intrigued at her reaction, where was that even coming from?

" I mean, we met last night and he took me to some place, there were a bunch of people from your old school. I even met a guy named Brandon who said he knew you, he was with his girlfriend.... Veronica I think..." at the mention of those names she zoned out, subconsciously correcting her to Victoria but she didn't even have the energy to speak out. What he hell, that traitor Jeremy! Still mingling with the enemies. She concluded that's why he's been so out of reach the past two days since he's being all buddy buddy with the ops. She couldn't really blame him since they were friends way before she even started dating Brandon, and the bond got closer once they started dating and Jeremy was her best friend after all.
Heather could visibly see the unsettling feeling on Megan's face when she glance at her from not hearing her response.