Chapter 15 - The aftermath

"Am I interrupting something?" He finally spoke clenching his jaw not once breaking eye contact with the girl he was there for.

Megan!

He was there for her.

She looked bewildered all wide eyed like she had just been caught in some kind of forbidden act. He took in the scene before him and he felt his blood boiling under the surface of his skin threatening to crawl out as he stared at what he had just walked into. He was literally gone for a maximum of 20 minutes getting her something to eat for when she woke up. He shouldn't have left her side, and now this big headed weasel had wormed his way in there when she was vulnerable and couldn't think straight. Wasn't he the same guy that was screaming profanities at her just a few days ago for trying to move on from him. He was livid and visibly shaking at the whole situation.

"Ryan ..." her smooth voice called out to him, her big bright Bambi eyes still not leaving his.
He heard the tall blond blob mumble something about leaving but he didn't care. There was a rage building up inside of him that was bubbling up and ready to spill over. His nostrils flared and he held the take away bag firmly in his hands as the other walked past him through the door giving him a condescending smile and a head nod. 'Lord give me strength not to punch this guy' he said a silent prayer and closed his eyes for more than a minute repeating a mantra in his mind 'patience, patience, patience'.

"Are you ready to go?" he finally spoke again to her and walked into the room. "The nurse said you're free to go after you wake up"

"Uhm yeah sure" she mumbled out her words trying to figure him out.

"Does it still hurt? " the concern in his low voice didn't go undetected.

"Just a little but I'll be just fine" she winced as she tried to fling her legs over the bed to stand up from the ledge of the bed.

Ryan walked in front of her, turned around showing his back to her and crouched over to lower his tall frame "Hop on, I'll take you to your room."

She didn't even have the energy to protest against him so she obliged getting a piggy bag ride from him.

The walk to her room was filled with an awkward silence, that had never happened before between them. Their time usually consisted of talking, laughing and playful banter, this was uncharted territory. Her arms were wrapped around his neck, his arms were tightly secured under her thighs that cradled his waist. All she could hear was his silent inhales and exhales as he effortlessly carried her towards her building. Every step he took felt like a step closer to something she could only describe as dread!

Was he mad at her? Did he assume that something happened with Brandon before he walked in? Was he going to break up with her? Her last question left an ache in her heart and she tightened her hold around his neck out of instinct nuzzling her face in his hair silently begging him not to let go. She couldn't bare the thought of losing Ryan even if their relationship was fairly new and was moving at a fast pace, her feelings for him had grown immensely it would crash her if he suddenly didn't want to be with her anymore.

"I got you some food" he ushered her the take away bag after he placed her down in front of her room door.

"Thank you" she got hold of the bag and tried to search his face, but he was avoiding her gaze looking everywhere but at her "Do you want to come in" her pleading voice rang through his ears with a hint of something he couldn't quite decipher, but it sounded eager.

"Uh ... er ... I think it's better if I go" all hope crashed as a result of rejection.

"Ryan... are you mad at me?" Her voice broke as she lifted her hand and placed it on his forearm. Her enquiry was met with silence.